Meet Wendy

I know that this is about 5 years too late, but just in case you're still listening, I have a couple of quick questions, if you don't mind:

1.  Is that a medium or small neck?
2.  I see that you have your controls all in one curved line. Warmoth offsets them if you have 4, and puts them in a curved line if you only have 3.  Did you drill the holes yourself, or did you custom order it like this
3.  Now that you've had the bass for a long time (assuming you still have it!), is there anything you'd change?

Thanks very much, here's hoping that you get this!

Hi mactac,

Very happy to answer your questions - I assume you're thinking of building too?

[list type=decimal]
[*]It's a medium neck.

[*]I ordered the body with pickup cavity and routing but no controls drilled. Can't remember if there was the option to drill the control holes at the time... certainly I would probably have ignored it anyway as I had very specific ideas about the controls I wanted. I didn't personally drill them but worked with an excellent local luthier on the assembly.

[*]Great question. I really do love Wendy to bits... in fact I gigged her on Saturday for the first time in a very long time. And, afterwards, my resounding thought was, "why on earth do I not gig this bass more?!" In hindsight, if I'd done one thing differently it would probably have been to have had a single pickup centrally placed rather than the two. I think the bass has got a fantastic range of tones - and so much can be done simply by adjusting fingerstyle technique itself - but I'm often left wondering whether it's just short of that 'classic' mid-rangey-yet-somehow-warm fretless tone that's so well known. The other thing I changed pretty quickly was changing my strings. I play in a function band and initially thought half-wounds would be a good compromise between the very-mellow flatwounds usually found on fretless basses and the kind of zing I felt I'd need on the more rock-based stuff from the band repertoire. I almost immediately didn't like them from a 'feel' perspective. Still too rough. I traded up to a set of Thomastik flatwounds after a couple of months and have never looked back. I think they cost about £70 for the set but they sound SO good, they're still on the bass now and will probably never be changed.
[/list]

I hope that helps - feel free to ask anything else and good luck with your build.

Back