Max's weird tuning method

Mor Paul

Epic Member
So, I tune my newest/oldest guitar in a weird way. I put it in open G with the lowest string gone.
I tune it like most people would, and then I do my weird fine tuning.

So, I noticed on my two acoustic guitars, if I pluck a string, other strings with the same note will vibrate as well. So, for fine tuning, I pluck strings that are the same note, and adjust until it sounds good. Then I pluck one string (the lower one) and watch the higher string(s). If they vibrate, I'm close. I turn the tuning machine until the higher string vibrates the most.
I also use how the whole guitar vibrates, so I aim for the least waves in the feel of the guitar.

This is probably impractical, but it works for me.

Opinions?  :blob7:

Boss TU-2...
:icon_biggrin:
ha, kidding...

sounds.... Difficult and time consuming. But I suppose it could work.

I just use the 5th fret method when there's no tuner around, I think it's easier than tuning by harmonics, which I'm too lazy for.

sounds complicated...... :icon_scratch:

I normally use the 5th fret method, but I was also trained to tune open string plucking starting from the high e string and working up to the low e string. It takes a little to train the ear but after awhile it sounds natural

Hmm that would work. I tune by harmonics whenever I can, standard or open tunings. Then I check it by playing 5ths and octaves. Then I play a bunch of open chords, and do any fine tuning on my highest three strings. Then I play more extended chords to make sure I'm happy.

I'm very picky.  :icon_smile:

If I'm someplace loud and I can't hear myself, I do something kinda like you max. My method stays the same, but I push my ear against the body of the guitar so I can hear the beats and vibrations between the notes I'm tuning. It works really well.

It is complicated, but it works with open g, since of the 5 strings I use, only one doesn't have a harmonic note.

There is a 5th fret STYLE tuning method for open G

I don't remember the fret number in specific, but It exists

I know. That's how I get the tuning in the right range.
For the 5 strings I've got, it's 7th fret for the 5th string. 5th for the 4th and 3rd. 4th for the 2nd string, and 3rd for the 1st string.

I use my TU2 if it's set up, harmonics if I'm plugged in but not to the tuner, and 5th fret if I have to.

I may be wrong here, Max, but I think that what you are describing is a "sympathetic vibration".. Thats all i have to offer to the conversation and there's a 50% chance that I am wrong..

and it would probably be much more common on an acoustic or archtop.  Its actually how i get a lot of feedback with my peizo guitars.

I use a TU-2 and 12th harmonic.  Gives me the fastest response.

hey Lee, be positive, I think you got a 50% chance of being correct.

Theres a tuner out there, peterson strobe tuner, that uses some goofey alternate tuning method that involves like the 7th and 13th frets or something, I don't remember, maybe its the buzz fieten system.

As long as it all sounds good when you play, that's what matters

no matter what you do, you wont truly be in tune without an earvana compensated nut

:glasses9:
sorry, but that thing is genius

Back