Maple/Pau Ferro rev. headstock pr0n!

CTN

My first ever custom Warmoth neck got here yesterday. Though the CBS headstock isn't gonna stay. It's gonna get reshaped.

Here she is, on the KNE Star body that it's going with.
P4221119_zpsf6ea437e.jpg

6105 frets
12" straight radius
Graphtech nut
Standard thin back profile
24.75" scale

Here's a better shot of the fretboard, after I applied some lemon oil to it:
P4221130_zps1c57bf6a.jpg

And here's the traced outline of the headstock shape I designed.
P4221131_zps120be3a1.jpg

I love the Pau Ferro fretboard but it's so full of streaks :eek:
That's the only party I don't fancy too much about this build.

The rest looks killer :kewlpics:

That Pau Ferro is gorgeous, and I'm glad you're reshaping that headstock. Leaving that CBS thing on there would be like a goiter on Angelina Jolie.

Patriot54 said:
I love the custom headstock design - what's your plan for the body finish?

Going with duplicolor perfect match for the color coats and probably a watco lacquer clear coat. I'm trying to narrow down the paint codes but ideally it's gonna be a dark grey metallic with just a tiny hint of blue in the gray. Almost like a gunmetal grey. The face of the headstock is also getting the lacquer, but the back of the neck is getting untinted Danish oil.

Coolguy said:
I love the Pau Ferro fretboard but it's so full of streaks :eek:
That's the only party I don't fancy too much about this build.

The rest looks killer :kewlpics:
I love the streaks! That's the whole reason I went with Pau Ferro instead of a maple or ebony board.

Cagey said:
That Pau Ferro is gorgeous, and I'm glad you're reshaping that headstock. Leaving that CBS thing on there would be like a goiter on Angelina Jolie.
:laughing11: Yeah it does look kinda buttugly.

This is what the finished build should look like (more or less)
Polarismockup_horiz_zps81e8a1fd.jpg

I've used Deft over the Duplicolor a few times with excellent results. Just throwin it out there :headbang1: Awesome build :party07:

pabloman said:
I've used Deft over the Duplicolor a few times with excellent results. Just throwin it out there :headbang1: Awesome build :party07:

I've read lots of good things about the Deft lacquer, but unfortunately it's pretty much impossible to get here, at least not in rattle cans. Don't have a spraygun outfit so buying big cans is kinda not an option.

DangerousR6 said:
:kewlpics: headstock shape is pretty bitchin':rock-on:

Thanks man!  :headbang:

Wicked!

I love the fretboard.

Did you choose maple for the neck because you planned on painting it? I feel like I never see exotic fingerboards without exotic neck woods.

Bagman67 said:
You can spray lacquer with a Preval unit:

http://www.preval.com/

Available all over the place.

Thought about using a Preval but I think it'll be more hassle than it's worth. I can get at least a couple brands (Watco and Dover) of rattle can nitro lacquer pretty easily. I've used the dover stuff before and it's pretty easy spraying and even has a vertical/horizontal adjustable spray tip.

reluctant-builder said:
Wicked!

I love the fretboard.

Did you choose maple for the neck because you planned on painting it? I feel like I never see exotic fingerboards without exotic neck woods.

Partially because I'm painting it, and also for tonal reasons. I previously had these pickups (Duncan JB w/ alnico 8 mag, and hot rails) in my strat, which is alder body/maple neck/rosewood fretboard, and they sounded absolutely totally killer in that guitar so now that my strat is back in S/S/S configuration and these pickups were sitting idle, I decided to make a guitar for them. I wanted to stay pretty close to the woods of the strat, albeit with a bit more attack/definition (hence the Pau Ferro).

Wow what a beautiful fretboard!

I am also digging the star shape. I am just going to have to build one one of these days. I didn't like the headstock reshape until I saw the mock-up, I thought it was a little too sharp, but it looks good!

Back