Maple Fretboard Options?

DrTeeth

Just wondering why you can’t get maple fretboards on non-maple necks.  Probably a very obvious reason so don’t hold my ignorance against me  :dontknow:.

I’d say call the W.  As I recall I seen some maple boards over walnut. 

Oddly as I think of it, from the MFGs, the only maple board over other wood I can think of regularly offered is from Ric, maple over walnut.

maple fretboard on a wenge neck would look awesome on a maple body with a wenge top,  in my opinion ( imo )

I'm curious why you are interested in the maple fret board.    There are other more durable woods that don't require a finish. 

If its simply for the colour contrast, then it makes sense.  Although roasted maple may not be appealing.

as was explained to me in an past post,  maple needs to be finished and so apparently you cant put a finish needed fretboard on a  "no finish needed"  neckwood,  unless perhaps if you had full finish neck ...  perhaps its not offered because of warantee ... i think remembering back on the walnut necks with birdseye maple fretboards were finished .

Did you try calling warmoth for the definitive off menu option choice?  That's what I would do.  I suspect the reason is finishing and demand.

teleme01 said:
as was explained to me in an past post,  maple needs to be finished and so apparently you cant put a finish needed fretboard on a  "no finish needed"  neckwood,  unless perhaps if you had full finish neck ...  perhaps its not offered because of warantee ... i think remembering back on the walnut necks with birdseye maple fretboards were finished .

He shoots, he scores.

Aaron, do you think that roasted maple as a fretboard might become a possibility at some point? 
EDIT: On a non-maple shaft wood neck of course!

macrossgeorge said:
Aaron, do you think that roasted maple as a fretboard might become a possibility at some point? 
EDIT: On a non-maple shaft wood neck of course!

No plans to any time soon, but I suppose it is not outside the realm of possibility.

Usually when we do weird wood combos we only do them for the showcase, not in the builders. My guess is if it ever did happen, it would happen that way.

Of course, you can always call in and see if we will do it as an off-menu option. That is your best bet for getting it any time soon.

Back