mannys music closing

vtpcnk

mannys music in nyc is closing - apparently sam ash is taking over.

they are offering 20% - 40% on all the stuff there - guitars, amps etc.

if you are anywhere near nyc it is worth a look.

Saw that, went and checked out the sale. They've been owned by Sam Ash for a while, apparently. Sad but true. There are still good music stores in NYC though, that's for sure, and Rudy's is going strong. Wander around the 30th st area where all the music studios are.

Rudy's is probably my favorite, they have such a great acoustic room (and friendly people staffing that room, too). Umanov Guitars is nice too, they carry some uncommon stuff, which is something I really appreciate. Found strings for my acoustic baritone there, I did!

I thought they were already out of business.  Man, this economy is killer.  I don't know what they're talking about things getting better.  I see more jobs getting axed all the time.  Didn't they just fire 20,000 people at GM?  And don't those support another 150,000 workers?  haven't we lost like a million jobs this year?  Whoa ...

T.L. said:
mayfly said:
T.L. said:
What about Ed Roman Guitars?  'Anyone ever been there?...

Yes.  Not worth the trip IMHO

Interesting. Can you elaborate any?...

Well, most of the stuff you can get elsewhere but cheaper.  The interesting stuff (like his "authentic" mosrites) are actually copies - and expensive ones at that. 

You start to get a large whiff of bullshit when you are in there - not the kind of place that I want to spend money at.

again, all IMHO of course.

I had a conversation with a friend who had been to Roman's twice.He said the first time he went the place was huge with lots of stuff but nothing out of the ordinary for a big music shop. The second time he went they had sold out to someone and the only thing left of Roman's was a hole in the wall music store with apartments on the second floor. He said it was like going into a Radio Shack.
:icon_tongue:

Brian

Rick said:
I thought they were already out of business.  Man, this economy is killer.  I don't know what they're talking about things getting better.  I see more jobs getting axed all the time.  Didn't they just fire 20,000 people at GM?  And don't those support another 150,000 workers?  haven't we lost like a million jobs this year?  Whoa ...
Yeah, how's that "Hope & Change" workin' out for everyone?...

Can you just stop, man? Only a couple of guys here live in your alternate reality universe.

T.L. said:
Rick said:
Yeah, how's that "Hope & Change" workin' out for everyone?...
Every time I think that the forum's about to get better, as in no political bickering going on where it's absolutely irrelevant, somebody does that. I'm getting tired of it.

TL: Please stop posting this hateful crap on this forum. Pleanty of other places to hang out on the internet and bash whatever you like, just dont do it here.

lets talk about guitars and stuff . :headbang:

Brian

Sad to hear about Manny's.  I didn't know that Sam Ash had bought Manny's.

Is there an Ed Roman's in NYC?  I thought he only had that huge store in Las Vegas.

like I said, I dont think Roman's has that huge place anymore in Los Vegas. My friend took a cab to their store where he had been to on his previous trip there and the store was gone. may be someone here who lives in LV can confirm?

Brian

Manny's closing was formally announced in MMR (Music Merchandising Retailer) magazine earlier this year. 

As far as Mr. Roman goes, I visited his store in Vegas several years ago.  While the sheer volume of guitars was impressive, the overall feel of the store was uninviting.  The entire bass inventory was behind locked door and I had to wait for Ed himself to open it up.  He wanted a guarantee that I was going to buy something before I touched and was ushered out of the room.

To be clear,  I'm not slinging mud at another music business, but I felt dirty and unwelcome after leaving.  Enough so that I have no need to ever return or send any business their way.  That's my personal experience.

I agree, I have been to Ed Roman's, and the guy was INCREDIBLY rude to me, I will never give him any business, or even recommend his store or products to anyone

Once AGAIN......I NEVER BROUGHT IT UP in the FIRST place.  Judging by your comments though, it must be workin' out pretty good for ya. I never did any nasty name-calling or threw any personal insults here, but you guys sure don't hesitate to do it to me (and that seems to be okay).  It's just unfortunate that some people here are totally unaware that politics affect EVERYTHING in life, INCLUDING the guitar world. If you don't believe me, just wait & see...

bpmorton777 said:
TL: Please stop posting this hateful crap on this forum. Pleanty of other places to hang out on the internet and bash whatever you like, just dont do it here.

lets talk about guitars and stuff . :headbang:

Brian

At NO time have I EVER posted ANY "hate" here on this forum. And I do not appreciate your false and ludicrous accusation. I asked a simple question in response to a comment that was made about the bad economy and businesses closing. If you can't handle that, I suggest getting some counseling...

Back