Making the Most of a Flame Maple Top

youdevil

I've gotten some lovely bookmatched flame maple suitable for use as a top.  Can't wait!  However truth be told I've never worked with flame maple before, just slabs.  Do I need to apply any sort of stain etc in order to maximize the appearance of the flame?  Or is the pore so tight and the surface so smooth that simply applying tint and nitro is all that's needed -- the wood does the rest?

Thanks for your thoughts.

i have found dye works best.  I used the STEW-MAC stuff.  Depending on what color you want, I suggest using a sand back method.  Applying a dark stain to the top, sanding most of it off but leaving stain  in the deepest of grains, and applying your final stain.  I think the waterbased is better to highligh the grain.  here are two oxamples what what I have done:

the 1st was dyed black, sanded, than a combo or black, yellow, and blue to create the green.

the second was dyed tobacco brown, sanded, then vintage amber.  I have detailed photos of all the steps in the process if you want.

those are great effects. thanks for sharing the pix!  re the tobacco burst, when you say that you followed it with vintage amber, was that the vintage amber stain or the vintage amber nitro, or both?  terrific work! be great to see more step by step imagery, i know that i appreciate in-process documentary pix of how folks have achieved their results.

Flame maple typically is not as resistant to staining as hard maple, but since it still has a very tight grain structure dye stains are probably a better option.

You do not need to apply color to enhance the flame.  If you want a more natural color you can just apply a light layer of oil (tung or boiled linseed) as this tends to make the flame really 'pop' and heightens the 3D effect (many do this even after dye/staining.)  However if you go this route you will need to seal prior to applying a lacquer or water based finish.  Even a washcoat of blonde shellac will enhance the grain a bit.

Since this is your first time dealing with flame maple I'd suggest getting a small test board to practice/experiment on - no sense risking a bookmatched top.

youdevil said:
when you say that you followed it with vintage amber, was that the vintage amber stain or the vintage amber nitro, or both?  terrific work! be great to see more step by step imagery, i know that i appreciate in-process documentary pix of how folks have achieved their results.

vintage amber dye.  I would be happy to send you some pics.  PM me with your email.

Back