Making finished necks smoother

hailstorm350

So I have a question who could help all those people who don't like finished necks because they feel sticky.

I got this idea from a pool cue I recently acquired from a local sports shop.

The end that you rest on your hand on the table for aiming looks like it has been sanded down for a good length of the cue stick, and it is very slick as compared to the typical "sticky" feeling of the rest of the cue's finish.  Does anyone know what this is? or need a picture to see what I'm talking about?    I'm thinking the same exact thing can be done to a neck for most of its length on the back without changing the look really all that much, and it would be functionally amazing at the same time.

Penny for your thoughts?

It also does a nice job of polishing your frets while you're at it.  1001 uses for 0000 steel wool. :icon_thumright:

Steel wool works great for many things. A word of caution though. Don't use steel wool anywhere near your pickups. The dust from it loves to stick to your magnetic pickups. It can also find it's way into the magnets of electric motors.  I love using the stuff but I make sure I do it outside. If your going to sand the back of a neck with steel wool take the neck off and do it as far away from the body/pickups as possible.

roboboss said:
Steel wool works great for many things. A word of caution though. Don't use steel wool anywhere near your pickups. The dust from it loves to stick to your magnetic pickups. It can also find it's way into the magnets of electric motors.  I love using the stuff but I make sure I do it outside. If your going to sand the back of a neck with steel wool take the neck off and do it as far away from the body/pickups as possible.
great advice, thank you!
Blue313 said:
It also does a nice job of polishing your frets while you're at it.  1001 uses for 0000 steel wool. :icon_thumright:
again, thank you, I will definately use it to polish up all my guitars :)

you mean steel wool would remove that annoying finish i got on my fender ? :D
finally be happy with it ?
or will it just make it more smooth ?
i hate finished necks

Back