Mahogany/ Ebony Strat Neck?

I just won some Soul and Sack on Ebay, but some jerk sniped the Funk, burning desire, and sweat.

Uh, hey noob guy, this is a forum about building custom guitars and related stuff, once in a while we do actually talk about playing them, and some may actually do so in their spare time, but you can't slam somebody on this board for talking about gear. This is a gear board for gearheads not a "soul and sack" board.

I found the funk in bed with a Conger Eel. At first I thought it was a sea anemone, but under closer inspection, I realized that it was a funky ball of tits from outer space.

Not just Marko's signature.. but a great bit from The Mighty Boosh.

This is a cool forum where I've learned lots.  I kind of didn't mean to be a prick but Orpheo's snobby commentary on "crappy" mahogany is laughable in my humble opinion.  Part of my point was that attitude, inspired effort and desire focused on any mangled and ugly turd-of-an-instrument ( even if it is made out of lowly Mahogany)  will outshine the endless pursuit of ever-better and shinier equipment, more often than not.  A fine instrument is quite inspiring; indeed.  But, Hendrix somehow managed to howl without a wenge neck.  Which reminds me that gear is just a starting point;  developing sublime attack is where it's truly at .  I don't think little of those who love exquisite guitars; even if they only love to covet them.  But I will noob-spank a snob who lost sight.  :binkybaby:

I'm a traditionalist. I've come to really like mahogany bodies. The only neck woods I really want are mahogany or maple based, with either maple, rosewood or ebony boards. My Frankenstrat clone has a raw maple/maple neck, doesn't seem to make a difference to me either way. The finish on a neck has never bothered me, guess my playing 29 yrs on finished necks have made me really not care. Other than my two Warmoths, my three Gibson Les Pauls (57 Special, Gothic, Gary Moore) are some of my favorites, so I can't really understand the hate they get. Mahogany body and necks seem to work really well for me, nice and warm. A maple neck just adds a little flavor to it.

I have thought about the exotics, but really don't know if they would be the that big of a deal to me if I played one.

Guitars are the grooviest is all that's really left to be said on this particular thread; maybe.  I'm just happy to be here talking shop with all you folks with all those stars.  Some of you are a true wealth of knowledge and I appreciate your sharing it.  This is a stellar forum indeed.  Didn't intend on being a dramatic sour sack; just felt I had to stand up for remarkable and just-as-exotic-as-it-ever-was Mahogany.  Because, next thing you know Bubinga could  fall out of favor and become considered a crappy ghetto wood too.

I don't think anyone would have pushed back had you expressed your opinion without insulting another member in the process.  It may have been "pompous drivel" to you but it is was a valid opinion to the author.

zogoibi said:
Guitars are the grooviest is all that's really left to be said on this particular thread; maybe.   I'm just happy to be here talking shop with all you folks with all those stars.  Some of you are a true wealth of knowledge and I appreciate your sharing it.   This is a stellar forum indeed.   Didn't intend on being a dramatic sour sack; just felt I had to stand up for remarkable and just-as-exotic-as-it-ever-was Mahogany.   Because, next thing you know Bubinga could  fall out of favor and become considered a crappy ghetto wood too.

+1 - well said......and stars don't necessarily qualify one or mean sheet  :laughing7:

Orpheo said:
Steve_Karl said:
Orpheo said:
slade said:
I would prefer a rosewood (if you are going for a warm sounding wood) over mahogany because mahogany usually requires a finish where rosewood does not. (I like the feel of no finish on the neck).

+1

with an added bonus of a bit more articulation when you want to solo with high gain up the neck, or a smooth jazzy tone, and a bit more 'beef' to the tone when you play a solo high up the neck on the bridge pickup, it wont thin out.

Now that's interesting to hear about. I'd been flirting with the thought of a rosewood / ebony neck but was concerned about the possibility of loosing some definition in the high end fundamentals, or having the beefy mids and lows outweigh the higher notes... i.e. just the general balance of the notes.

oh, no, don't worry about that. you'll have more definition and articulation with a rosewood neck/ebony board than with any other mahogany neck+ebony board, EVER. period. the ebony will make it a bit tighter, and the RW in general has a lovely tonespectrum. nice, chunky mids, but not TOO much, the lows are there, and you'll feel them, and the highs are there, you'll feel them too, but nothing overpowers the rest, unlike mahogany, where it's 'mushmush-galore'!

black korina+padouk/bloodwood, wow, great combination! the best of a les paul-tone+ strat tone, combine it with a good pickupset, and you've got yourself a killer-allround axe. it will give you a very allround tone, beefy, chunky lows, crunchy mids and singing highs. mahogany body with a maple neck+ebony board will give you almost the same tone, by the way,but a bit less 'crunch', and a bit more 'mellow'.

Orpheo ...
I had to report back on this.
Now that the black korina padouk/bloodwood is assembled and in use, and being compared to the mahogany maple/ebony almost daily ... I have to tell you that you totally nailed the tones of the guitars and how they differ. They have exactly the same pups and electronics but the tonal difference you described is spot on, even when just listening acoustically.

Steve_Karl said:
Orpheo ...
Now that the black korina padouk/bloodwood is assembled and in use, and being compared to the mahogany maple/ebony almost daily ... I have to tell you that you totally nailed the tones of the guitars and how they differ. They have exactly the same pups and electronics but the tonal difference you described is spot on, even when just listening acoustically.

Steve, is that a padouk neck with bloodwood fingerboard or the other way round? I'm currently tryign to decide on a neck for my black korina strat body and this sounds promising (pics?)

Oh, and jerryjg - really like your strat! Something about it, the wood/neck/rear route/hardware and pups reminds me of a lot of my telestrat  :icon_thumright:

stefan said:
Steve_Karl said:
Orpheo ...

Steve, is that a padouk neck with bloodwood fingerboard or the other way round? I'm currently tryign to decide on a neck for my black korina strat body and this sounds promising (pics?)

Oh, and jerryjg - really like your strat! Something about it, the wood/neck/rear route/hardware and pups reminds me of a lot of my telestrat  :icon_thumright:

It's a padouk shaft with a bloodwood fretboard. I think I might go bloodwood / ebony for a build soon.
Here's a gallery of pics on the black korina - padouk / bloodwood.

Edit:
Ran across this thread while looking for the term "bloom" relating to neck woods and tone and since the old image gallery was gone
i'm updating the link to the images.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNdG9RoZx_aezttYle459ld4dcEqLOYoWedXhUM_LhbXLmHGrTAcJ_S1dFfac1L1Q?key=d0Q3cXBJdG5GT0c0LV9DNWpDdzZQMDlCeTNmVUh3

Sorry for necroposting. :)

Back