Mahagony Body/ Maple Fretboard

jerryjg

On paper, its a combination that would work very well sonically . But really, Ive seen a few  and they just really do not look at all that good together aesthetically . Its almost as If the gods didnt want it to happen.
I know for a fact the gods frown on Walnut and Maple fretbaord.  Its too bright of a combination, wheres Rosewood and Walnut are really nicely matched and look great together.
Actually, the more i think about it, the more i realise i need to order a Pau ferro fingerbaord neck for my Walnut body Strat. Looks great with mahogany , sounds like Maple- feels fantastic to the fingers. Either that or Ebony. Mahogany and Ebony?? Hmmmm..

If the mahogany gets anything other than a clear finish, it can look good with maple.  Body woods and neck woods, yes they have sonic properties, but so do pickups and amps.  I assure you that bright sounds can be had from warm tonewoods and vice versa.  It's just fodder for gearheads mostly.  It all sounds the same when I dead fret, regardless of the wood.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
If the mahogany gets anything other than a clear finish, it can look good with maple.  Body woods and neck woods, yes they have sonic properties, but so do pickups and amps.  I assure you that bright sounds can be had from warm tonewoods and vice versa.  It's just fodder for gearheads mostly.  It all sounds the same when I dead fret, regardless of the wood.
Agreed, the choice of wood has some induction into the tone, but ultimately it's the pup's and the amp that produce the end result. Case in point, I can play my VW that has SD Invader in it thru my SS amp and thru my tube amp and get two totally different tones...With pretty much the same settings between the two amps...

If you are wanting a clear or see thru color, get the mahogany body with a maple laminate top.

My carved top soloist will be here Tuesday. Mahogany body, flame maple top, flame maple neck and flame maple finger board.  :headbang1:

Death by Uberschall said:
If you are wanting a clear or see thru color, get the mahogany body with a maple laminate top.

My carved top soloist will be here Tuesday. Mahogany body, flame maple top, flame maple neck and flame maple finger board.  :headbang1:
Mmmmmmmm, that sounds yummy...... :icon_thumright:
What flavor of headstock is it going to have?

Flame usually makes for some gorgeous necks...Quilted maple makes some beautiful necks to, but I've only seen just a few of those. And I don't think I've ever seen one from Warmoth...

DangerousR6 said:

My carved top soloist will be here Tuesday. Mahogany body, flame maple top, flame maple neck and flame maple finger board.  :headbang1:

Flame usually makes for some gorgeous necks...Quilted maple makes some beautiful necks to, but I've only seen just a few of those. And I don't think I've ever seen one from Warmoth...

Warmoth headstock

DangerousR6 said:

Warmoth headstock
Sweet, that headstock looks good with the soloist body..... :icon_thumright:

DangerousR6 said:
DangerousR6 said:

Warmoth headstock

+1 and I have one.  :icon_thumright:

DocNrock said:
DangerousR6 said:
DangerousR6 said:

Warmoth headstock

+1 and I have one.   :icon_thumright:
Don't you have a couple soloist's, or just the one? :icon_scratch:

I only have one Soloist with a W headstock.  Bloodwood top and the neck is a W headstock neck made from the "unknown" bolivian wood.  :laughing7:  They said it sounded like a marimba when tapped.  I'll say it rocks with an X2N.  :headbang1:

DocNrock said:
I only have one Soloist with a W headstock.  Bloodwood top and the neck is a W headstock neck made from the "unknown" bolivian wood.   :laughing7:  They said it sounded like a marimba when tapped.  I'll say it rocks with an X2N.   :headbang1:
Oh yea, I remember that neck.... :icon_thumright:

Back