LSR problem? A & D string too low..

FuzzFunk

Recently put together a new strat from Warmoth parts and got an LSR job done by Warmoth, and after assembling it, my A and D string are too low and essentially on the neck..
I tried loosening the truss rod and raising saddles to accommodate, but A and D and possibly G could be too low while Bottom E is little low still with saddles raised.. I'm not quite sure how to use the shims that came with it properly with the section of the string have a problem.
Any advice would be awesome.
Thanks in advance!

The shims go between the nut and the shelf to raise it the appropriate amount.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=19028.0

Moving the truss rod or bridge won't help to adjust nut geometry.

What is the radii of your neck?  The LSR nut is designed to work with a ~ 9.5" radius.  Compound radius is fine as long as the radius at the nut is 9.5 - 10"

Are you saying the strings buzz or boink out on the first fret? If not, the strings aren't too low. If so, then we have to talk about shims. To use them, you loosen the retaining screws and lift the nut bit, so you can slide one or more shims under either side to raise the nut. Observe that the shims are trapezoidal in shape, so they have an orientation to them. The angled edge goes in under the nut first, and the angle has to be oriented in such a way (short side toward headstock) as to avoid the retainer screw(s). If the shim isn't oriented properly, it'll stick out the side of the neck, which is NFG.

Also, there are two thicknesses of shim, so you can get the height set pretty close to where you need it to be. I like about .010" clearance between the first string and the top of the first fret, and about .020" at the 6th string. Anything less may buzz, anything more may less than ideal, depending on what you're used to.

@Neo Fender and Cagey, this thread is from Jan 14th, when the original poster asked the question and I replied. Since then the OP has not posted in the thread since.

And here I was thinking I was being all helpful, having just set up an LSR recently  :laughing7:

Cagey said:
And here I was thinking I was being all helpful, having just set up an LSR recently  :laughing7:

Well hopefully someone Google searching for such information may find it very useful.

Cagey said:
Just 'cause I didn't ask the question, doesn't mean I can't learn from the answer. Always appreciate the effort you put into your answers.... :icon_thumright:

Back