LSR nut slot cut too deep

weeky

Hello,

I recently got my newest warmoth neck: Gibson Conversion, SS6150 frets and all Maple with a LSR nut prep. I set up the neck correctly (almost straight with a tiny bit of relief) and set action height at the bridge. However, my high E string buzzes at the nut when played open, even though I used all the shims (2x 0,26mm and 2x 0,13mm on both sides) that were provided in the LSR kit. It seems my nut action is still too low. What should I do? Shim with a piece of wood under the LSR nut?

Best

Does the high E still buzz when you fret on the first fret? If “yes”, then the problem is not the nut. If the buzz goes away when you fret the first fret, it’s either the nut is too low, or your first fret is too high. If it’s the nut, a shim underneath should resolve the issue.

Bill, tgo

Contact Warmoth customer service.

You could use an extra shim, but Warmoth should be made aware, at least for QC purposes.

I had the exact same issue with an LSR nut slot cut by W. I would up buying thin brass sheets from Amazon and cutting shims to make it work.

I had the exact same issue with an LSR nut slot cut by W. I would up buying thin brass sheets from Amazon and cutting shims to make it work.
I am getting ready to install a LSR roller nut on a Warmoth neck that is still stock.

Kind of a Jeff Beck tribute Strat with the two point Fender vibrato Jeff used.

I'll use my favorite pickups tho: Chubtone 63's with an El Gordo bridge pickup. Mike Gray is winding pickups again!

I've watched some videos and I'm a decent luthier and furniture maker.

Want to get this right the first time tho, so any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Measure twice / thrice and cut once. Use the correct size drill bit for the screws etc. You could also rig up a jig and practice on scrap etc before committing to cutting the nut slot.

Last edited:
Back