LP Build (non-Warmoth)

Cagey said:
But, still. I don't think there's any hardship for the drill press.
I really haul on my drill press to go through stainless steel without burning up bits. They'll take a lot of force without hurting them.

I've been playing this guitar for a few months now and absolutely loving everything about it EXCEPT the stupid sharp edge where my forearm rests. Precision guitar kits really went all out in cloning the LP including the "reverse dish" on the rim of the top, where the carved top flares back out on the edges. I really don't see the point of this, why would anybody want the guitar's top to be depressed in? Whatever, anything in the name of vintage correctness, right?

I've had this issue with LPs before and I knew I should have at least flattened out this dish in the forearm area before finishing, but I didn't. Oh well. I guess I was just too scared to go through the maple since the body is chambered underneath.

Anyway... I've been thinking about how to keep my finger tendons from getting sore while playing, and I discovered that some mandolin players solve a similar problem by making wooden armrests and attaching them with violin or viola chinrest hardware. Something like this or this.
MT00021-410x334_1_.jpg

So I ordered the hardware from a place called Dov Schmidt.  I ordered the normal and semi-hill style viola brackets. One has a fixed distance between the two arms (like on the mandolin photo above) and one lets you space them however. I had to guess on the thickness so I ordered the turnbuckles in a few sizes too. Turns out the shortest viola turnbuckles are correct for an LP. Oh and I got the wrench they sell for installing the whole thing. I think it was about $20 in harware total, not bad!

Next I had to carve the wooden part. I used some home depot poplar...I can always make one out of fancy rosewood or something later on, but first I needed to experiment with the shape using cheap wood.

Here's my template, based on where my arm usually sits on the guitar while sitting and standing:

I cut it out with a coping saw a little outside the line, then used my belt sander to bring it right in and smooth out the shape. I was able to get the armrest curve to exactly match the guitar's contour, woohoo!

Next I drilled the mounting holes while everything was relatively square, using a fence on my drill press. Then I decided to carve the curve before cutting out the inside, so that I'd have a convenient handle while working. For carving I used a rasp and chisel alternately, and then a cabinet scraper and some sandpaper to smooth things out.

I forgot to take photos here but after the curve was carved, I cut out the inside and belt sanded it, then hand sanded all of the hard edges off.

So here was mk.1 of the shape. The curve was nice but it was way too thick!!

Next I again used the belt sander to take a bunch of thickness off of the armrest, from 3/4" to I think about 1/2" thick. Then I re-carved the curve. Mk2 was better but still too abrupt of a curve:

So I slanted the whole top surface with the belt sander, then aggressively carved the contour to be much much deeper.

Looks like the 3rd time is a charm! This thing is instantly comfortable, and the thickness isn't too bad relative to where the strings are. The arm angle feels no worse than a telecaster, where the strings are pretty close to the flattop body.

After playing it for a while and deciding I liked the shape, I finished the armrest with some dark oil based stain leftover from installing a door in my house. Then I clearcoated it with just a few layers of shellac, to keep a mostly matte finish. Oh and originally I had some self-adhesive felt on the underside but I switched to a small piece of kitchen draw liner (that I also use for routing, putting finished guitars on the workbench, etc.). This stuff is really grippy so the armrest stays put without having the brackets too tight. Plus thanks to the reverse dish, the armrest only contacts the top on the rim so it shouldn't mar things too badly.

I ended up using the "semi-hill" brackets only because the bottom lip is a bit bigger, so they clamp better. I drilled the holes in the armrest close together so that either bracket would work though - next time I might space the holes out a little bit. I also did bend the hooked arms of the bracket a little so that they make just over a 90° angle, to force the armrest onto the top a little better.

I think it looks pretty good and isn't too intrusive to the LP's look! Plus now I can play this guitar as long as I'd like. :) I might make one out of rosewood eventually but for now I'm happy.

Very clever, and very nicely done!

I'm kinda surprised you had a problem with the traditional Les Paul edge. I've heard that exact complaint from a number of Tele players, but never LP players. But, maybe it's one of those things nobody talks about. Not supposed to badmouth the LP design; IT'S AN ICON, DAMMIT! :laughing7:

Cagey said:
Very clever, and very nicely done!

I'm kinda surprised you had a problem with the traditional Les Paul edge. I've heard that exact complaint from a number of Tele players, but never LP players. But, maybe it's one of those things nobody talks about. Not supposed to badmouth the LP design; IT'S AN ICON, DAMMIT! :laughing7:

Yeah Tele's are typically fine for me (although I do sorta feel like I'm sticking my elbow out to reach "over" the guitar to the strings). But this is the 3rd LP I've owned, and I had this issue with all of them. I think the problem is that the LP edge is pretty squared off because of the binding, whereas at least a tele is a little rounded over. Plus the LP body is a lot smaller, so I think the edge hits me right in the wrist instead of up my arm.

Sorry to all the vintage purists, but if I ever build another LP though, it's getting a forearm contour... As for this guitar, I'm glad I got it playable without wrecking the look, because I think LP's are one of the best looking electrics. I guess I do buy into that part of the icon idea!

That's a very workable solution. A good idea well carried out.  :icon_thumright:

An interesting addition to the guitar, but can you get it under your chin as they used to ask double bass players.

I am not sure if it was mentioned before but is the headstock the PGK shape or something else you modified?

stratamania said:
An interesting addition to the guitar, but can you get it under your chin as they used to ask double bass players.

I am not sure if it was mentioned before but is the headstock the PGK shape or something else you modified?

Haha!

Yep this is the stock PGK headstock shape. I really like it!

davegardner0 said:
stratamania said:

Haha!

Yep this is the stock PGK headstock shape. I really like it!

Thanks it must be the inlays and things I wasn't sure. It looks good.

Back