Looking to start my first warmoth project

riverbluff

Hi all,

I have been considering building a Warmoth for ages and have finally decided to take the final steps and get started.  Still a bit undecided as to the exact build I want. 

As a first time build, I am looking for some possible suggestions for the more experienced folks of this forum.

I currently own/play a Les Paul as my main, I also have a custom built Les Paul and a Jackson with a floyd trem.  I love the LP sound and am looking to kind of combine the tone of the LP with the feel of the jackson neck with the FR trem.

I was considering the VW body, but missed out on the sale.  Kind of leaning towards an explorer body.  Looking for input on wood types etc... to achieve the tone and feel I am looking for.

If my build goes well, I will be almost immediately be doing a build for my son, he's a lefty and we can't seem to find what he wants in a left hand model, but I know we can get it at Warmoth.

Any input would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks
BT

From your guitars I'm thinking that you are into overdriven or high gain sounds  :party07: The VW was a nice alternative, I liked it too. I'm not so experienced with the sound of the other bodies. I know the strat & tele have a certain sound despite the different woods. Some people say the more wood the more sustain, if you are interested in sustain. I don't think you can go wrong with Warmoth's parts, choose a body you like and you know it will be comfortable to play http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/bodies/bodies.cfm

Then choose the woods http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm This wood page has been read by maaany people all over the years. Alder is a wood that does everything good and it's not expensive. For more bite korina would be a nice alternative. Padouk is an interesting wood for bodies. If you do a carved body where the thick top adds to the sound, I suggest basswood as the base. I had a basswood + maple guitar and it was amazing for high gain. Mahogany + maple is a classic choice.

For the neck you will have to measure your jackson neck and see what's close http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=back_profiles I suggest an unfinished neck, I tried it with my first and now I can't go back to maple necks because of the finish.

My suggestion would be to use different woods from the woods your guitars have, do not be afraid to experiment. Give extra attention to the neck specs, it's important to suit your hand.

Good luck  :eek:ccasion14:

Everybody can speak what want, but to me, if you don't have have at least a slim (in this subject, fat is the better) neck and a mahogany/korina or any other fat-sounded woods from the project, you can take a sit and wait, but you won't get the sound... you can get something that reminds you of your LP, especially with a FR trem, but won't be so close...
I would say:
Body: Mahogany (a thicker body always help, so carved tops in)
Neck: Mahogany+rosewood or all rosewood (perhaps would match better this one with korina).

And don't forget: ultra thin necks will give you leprosy  :laughing7:

You don't mention which model of Jackson you have; mahogany or maple neck?

There are some nice looking Black Korina Explorer bodies on the Showcase; can't go wrong there and keeps the original Explorer vibe alive, albeit the originals were made from "white korina", i.e., sans the heartwood grain figuring.

Neck wise, mahogany is going to get you closest to the LP sound/tone and neck wood makes the biggest difference tonally. An all rosewood neck will be very close in tone to mahogany, and can be played raw... Another good choice would be wenge; "in between" the maple or mahogany in warm/bright tone, can also be played raw and looks great on a Black Korina bosy...

NonsenseTele said:
Everybody can speak what want, but to me, if you don't have have at least a slim (in this subject, fat is the better) neck and a mahogany/korina or any other fat-sounded woods from the project, you can take a sit and wait, but you won't get the sound... you can get something that reminds you of your LP, especially with a FR trem, but won't be so close...
I would say:
Body: Mahogany (a thicker body always help, so carved tops in)
Neck: Mahogany+rosewood or all rosewood (perhaps would match better this one with korina).

And don't forget: ultra thin necks will give you leprosy  :laughing7:

Man, you made me happy!  :blob7: :blob7: :blob7:
You just confirmed my thoughts about my project i'm waiting for arrival (next week or not much later).
I can't wait anymore, i'm too excited, it's my first W project!

OK, having a major change in direction on my build and hoping you can answer a few questions and perhaps provide some additional input.  I am a hugh LP fan and have decided to build what I am most comfortable with for my fist build, plus after surfing the show case I am amazed at some of the LP bodies there ( this body for example )  This body is amazing and if it or something similar is there in May (after I return from Afghanistan) it will be mine.

My main question is:  Which warmoth neck contour best matches the Gibson LP neck?  I currently own a 1987 LP Studio and the contour on that neck is most comfortable for me.

The neck I am planning on would have the Warmoth headstock, just to off set it a bit and make it a bit different.  I love the look of a maple neck with an ebony FB, I saw a couple of those in some of the postes and it has a very striking look to it.  What kind of sound can I expect from that neck combo.  I am also considering a neck that does not require a finish, which wood would you recommend?  I do like the Iron Cross inlay idea.

I am planning on installing either EMG ZW (81and 85) pickups or the Seymour Duncan LiveWire pickup.  I currently have the EMG ZW set in my LP and love the sound.  Does anyone have any input on the LiveWire set up?  I would not be opposed to a hot passive pickup set up either, not looking for anything cosmic in the electronics.  Just want a good solid rock/metal sound.  Although something that would allow me to go to a single coil tap would add some nice flexibility to the sound and vesitility.

For hardware, I really like the look of black but with the body listed above I think gold hardware would really make it pop.

If I had to order a neck, what is the average time before it would be made/shipped?  Also, would you put binding on the neck to match the body?  I am leaning more towards not, not sure if the contract would enhance or take away.  Additionally, which nut would you recommend? 

Any input is greatly welcomed

Thanks
BT

Unfamiliar with the '87 LP neck; there's a lot of variation in Gibson necks, if your current LP is your own gold standard, measure the thickness at the 1st and 12th frets and compare to the info on this page:

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=back_profiles

I think the '59 Roundback is probably going to be closest, but measure your current neck and compare.

As to wood choice, a maple neck is going to sound significantly brighter than a mahogany LP.  If you're trying to maintain that same tone, go mahogany for the neck and finish to match. If you want an unfinished neck, I can't really discern any difference between mahogany and Indian rosewood, wenge is a shade brighter. Any of those three choices look sharp with an ebony board.

You'll also need to consider the neck length.  All things being equal, there's a 6% difference in the string tension between the gibson scale and the fender scale.  This will affect your sound.

As to which profile is the most gibson like, you should know that the gibson profiles change over the years.  Best thing is to check out a neck you like and try get one as close as you can.

Good luck in the 'stan.  Are you in the Army?

I am planning on staying with the 24.75 gibson scale.  Will that make for a warmer tone as compared to an 25.5 scale of the same material?

Yes.  It will be thicker and creamier, though some people may perceive it as muddier.  Also, it depends on what amp you'll be using.  If your combo works well with an LP, then an LP you make will work too.

It seems the last month Warmoth puts all the AAAAA tops in Les Pauls! They have made amazing bodies, I bought one myself.

Some general suggestions:

Gibson has a lot neck shapes. The '59 is the safest way to go, I have a '92 SG and the '59 profile is just a little thicker. It looks thin to me though, I'm a fan of Warmoth's fatback.

I would go for 25.5 scale just to make a different Les Paul than your Gibson.

I would go for un unfinished neck because it feels much better to me and to make a different Les Paul than the Gibson. If you want a finished neck go for mahogany.

I would also go for a hollow Les Paul, again just to make a different Les Paul than your studio. I think your '87 has a solid body.

Look for WCR's hot pickup set. They are expensive but they are passive and you can coil tap both pickups for more sounds. People say WCR pickups clean very well with the volume down and they have clarity. No experience with WCR but I'm gonna try one of the vintage models someday.

My take: all-rosewood is an awesome option for exotic, unfinished neck wood. I think it would look great in an LP style, too. I think you should stick with 24.75 scale if you want your guitar to PLAY like an LP; if you want the LP look, but a shredder playability, go for high frets, 25.5 scale, and a thin neck, I guess.

tfarny said:
My take: all-rosewood is an awesome option for exotic, unfinished neck wood. I think it would look great in an LP style, too. I think you should stick with 24.75 scale if you want your guitar to PLAY like an LP; if you want the LP look, but a shredder playability, go for high frets, 25.5 scale, and a thin neck, I guess.

All rosewood with a chunky Mahogany LP? Wouldn't that be a bit OTT? Especially with a 59 profile.

over the top? did you see the body the OP liked? An all-RW neck is pretty classy in my book. Check out some of the higher-end PRSs out there, the mccarty with all-rosewood wide-fat neck is basically the same materials and profile (59) I'm talking about.

Back