looking for PRS style body

jasoncounce

I am looking for a unfinished PRS style body with quilted maple top or flamed. I bought a kit and the body was messed up so I don't want to waste the rest of the parts...neck, hardware and all electronics..

If it's the body I'm thinking of, they're pretty thin on the ground. Looks like a PRS Custom 24? They show up on eBay every once in a while, but they usually ask a ridiculous amount of money for them, up in the $1,000 - $1,200 range. They don't sell at those prices, but some people seem to think they're worth that much.

What's wrong with the one you have? Perhaps it can be repaired? There's a lotta talent on this board. Somebody may be able to help you.

If you have one of the kits with a glue in style neck, you're most likely looking in the wrong venue. All Warmoth bodies are bolt on. But I do agree with Cagey, we have lots talent around here, so we could most likely steer you in the right direction to fix the body you have.

I know the warmoth wont work . I am looking for any kind... And its not repairable , the veneer is so thin it bubbled up from just the water in the dye and I even used a needle and glued it down. And  now it has let go around the edges so I have decided it is pretty much junk...  :dontknow:

That's too bad. Sounds like a photo top. Just out of curiosity - whose kit was it?

Yea - sounds like a photo top.  you could sand it all off and do a solid color on it.  That might be your best bet.

Have a picture of it?

My understanding is that it's not really a photo or a veneer. It's a photo-realistic print of an attractive piece of wood. You can't cut wood that thin, and photos would either be too expensive or wouldn't take finish reliably. So, they print the grain/figure out on a substrate they can deal with, bind it to the wood, then finish over all that. It's super-thin, so you don't dare sand it. I imagine finishes are limited to polyester/polyurethane, where you can nail the whole job in a couple coats with little processing after the fact and the underlying "decoration" wouldn't be subject to normal wear and tear.

Cagey said:
My understanding is that it's not really a photo or a veneer. It's a photo-realistic print of an attractive piece of wood. You can't cut wood that thin, and photos would either be too expensive or wouldn't take finish reliably. So, they print the grain/figure out on a substrate they can deal with, bind it to the wood, then finish over all that. It's super-thin, so you don't dare sand it. I imagine finishes are limited to polyester/polyurethane, where you can nail the whole job in a couple coats with little processing after the fact and the underlying "decoration" wouldn't be subject to normal wear and tear.

Wow, very strange.

rapfohl09 said:
Cagey said:

Wow, very strange.
Not really, it's been in play for years..

Here's a page with lots of info on the fender fotoflame series of the mid-90's

http://xhefriguitars.com/page7.html

Friend of mine had one of those back then, the finish is pretty convincing except that it lacks the 3 dimensional chatoyance effect of real figured maple

Back