Looking for an effect...

Galaxy_Stranger

Let me describe this effect I've been trying to hunt down and see if you can tell me what to call it and, (hopefully), how to reproduce it.  I've heard this effect vocally and also on an Anthrax album.

The sound is played with a moderately spaced delay with about 3 or 4 echos.  With each iteration of the delay, the pitch is dropped a bit.

Anybody know what this is called and how I can reproduce it?

On an analog delay you can turn the knob that controls the delay time, while it's already started repeating, and it will cause that effect.  Clockwise the notes get higher in pitch, counter clockwise they get lower.

Galaxy_Stranger said:
Let me describe this effect I've been trying to hunt down and see if you can tell me what to call it and, (hopefully), how to reproduce it.  I've heard this effect vocally and also on an Anthrax album.

The sound is played with a moderately spaced delay with about 3 or 4 echos.  With each iteration of the delay, the pitch is dropped a bit.

Anybody know what this is called and how I can reproduce it?

To record that effect, there are dozens of ways to get it, especially now in our digital cut-and paste world.  They probably just recorded the delayed signal to another track, then used a pitch shift plug-in on each repeat, with each shift increasing (or decreasing) by small increments.

Doing that in a "live off the floor" situation would be a bit more difficult.  If you sent a delay pedal into a pitch shift pedal, the delayed signal would only get pitched once ... but then you'd also have to get the guitar's (I'm assuming) clean signal to an amp/mixer as well.  If not, you would not get the effect ... every note you played would be pitch shifted.  I think your only option would be to use one of the many "modeling" softwares available ... Guitar Rig, Amplitube, etc.  They have all kinds of crazy effects chains, where you can add a step sequencer to the pitch shifter to get exactly that effect.  However, this means playing live with a laptop.

There are still rack-mount multi-effects units available, and those would probably be your best bet.  I had an ART SGE Mach II several years ago, and I remember that you could program several effects chains ... that might work.

taez555 said:
On an analog delay you can turn the knob that controls the delay time, while it's already started repeating, and it will cause that effect.  Clockwise the notes get higher in pitch, counter clockwise they get lower.

Touche'.  Another famous tune where the guitar player does just this is at the very end of Eruption.

The Digi-Tech Black 13 is a pedal that was made for Scott Ian. It has 6 types of distortion and setting #7 is the sound he used on Finale from State of Euphoria.  With this pedal you can get the sound live BUT it does not do JUST the delay and pitch shift, it is a distorted sound.
In other words, the delay comes with the crunch and there is not a way on that pedal to get JUST the dealy.

Below is the best bet.

taez555 said:
On an analog delay you can turn the knob that controls the delay time, while it's already started repeating, and it will cause that effect.  Clockwise the notes get higher in pitch, counter clockwise they get lower.

Superlizard said:
taez555 said:

Touche'.  Another famous tune where the guitar plays does just this is at the very end of Eruption.

Are you sure about that?

There's no question that there is a delay pedal at the end of Eruption, but the "pitch shift" at the end sounds much more like he's just slowly diving the trem bar ......

Thanks for the replies.  A lot of good info here.

I'll try the delay trick - I just don't understand how it works that way.

I've heard this technique used even on cartoons - so I'm sure it was something done on the fly in-studio.

Galaxy_Stranger said:
I'll try the delay trick - I just don't understand how it works that way.
It's like slowing down a record player or a tape.  Its the same analog sound sample, it just gets replayed over a longer time period.  The side effect is the pitch change.  Halve the speed and you lose an octave.

Galaxy_Stranger said:
I've heard this technique used even on cartoons - so I'm sure it was something done on the fly in-studio.
There's a multitude of effects available to a studio that isn't easy to replicate in a pedal.

AndyG said:
Are you sure about that?

There's no question that there is a delay pedal at the end of Eruption, but the "pitch shift" at the end sounds much more like he's just slowly diving the trem bar ......

That's pure Echoplex "magic"...

I tried it with my Boss RV-3 Digital Reverb/Delay.

It didn't work because it resets everything as you turn the knob.

I'm sure there's some way of getting this done dynamically.

taez555 said:

i have to say or type i think hes right or atleast it would work

i like the electro harmonix memory man, if you feel comfortable with schmactics and soldering you can build one cheaper.  good luck with your search

Back