Long Walk Home

mayfly

Epic Member
The latest one.  Would appreciate some input on the guitar solo.  After Deanna's incredible violin solo my playing seems pretty crude.  Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Long Walk Home NewApril25Mastered.mp3
    8.5 MB
Honestly, I never feel comfy delivery criticism on a guitarist's choice of notes, technique, or otherwise when it comes to a solo.  That's a really personal thing and it would be akin to someone criticizing me for my choice of words when delivering a heartfelt message. 

That said, the song is good and super clean from a production perspective.  To that end, I typically want to hear more reverb/delay in my solos, but that's me.  I think what's in this song of yours is perfect for this song.  Makes me want to take a cruise down the coast.

Just my very humble opinions, but I like it. I don't think it's the phrasing of your solo or anything, that's excellent as usual. Perhaps a tad less gain? Maybe a bit less presence? I felt like it was the tone that was a bit off, not the phrasing or playing.

And why end there? I think a nice ride out by doing the chorus a couple times would really compliment the song. It just ended and I felt like there was a bit more to say. It's such a catchy riff that I think it would go well to end the song.

Really nice though, as usual.

I listened to this several times. Whoever wrote the tune should be proud. It's very good, albeit short.

Whoever the vocalist is deserves a big ol' sloppy kiss. She's great.

The violin is great. Very nicely done. Fits well.

The guitar player should take a break. Go take a piss, have a beer or pet the cat or something. Maybe bring in a sax or keyboardist instead. I don't know. Somehow, the guitar is just wrong. It's jarring. Maybe just re-amp it or change the distortion? I don't know. I think if it was me, I'd get rid of the guitar altogether except for some emphasis here and there.

Yeah, I know you're the guitar player, so please don't take offense, but for as big a fan as I am of the instrument, not all tunes need it. I think this is one of them. Or, it needs to change emphasis or presence. Look at some of Elton John's work. The guitar comes and goes as necessary, kinda like an orchesta.

Now that's some honest advice!  Yea you're right - it is jarring!  It's messing up the song.

I'm thinking of just pulling the guitar solo right out of there and ending the song after the last chorus.  If it sounds OK i'll post it up for further comment.  Or maybe I should just shut it off.  or completely change it.  I'll play around with things tonight.

Oh - Theresa and I wrote the song together.  She's a hell of a singer.

Hey Kevin!  Check out this version.

Attachments

• Long Walk Home CutMay1Mastered.mp3
    7.6 MB
I like this one a LOT more. Beautiful tune! My only critiques now would be technical - the vocals introduce some noise. The guitar is dead-clean with no background. Night time dreamland in the middle of nowhere. Sounds live. Vocals come in, and suddenly you hear this hiss. I mean, it's an audible transition. Then, when she starts into the chorus "...It's a long walk home", she seems to drop into the background. Loses presence or something. Might just be a level thing there. Either she's too light, or the instruments are too hot. I don't really hear a level change on the instruments, so I vote for bumping her vocals.

Great song.  I like both versions, but definitely favor the second one.  As you kind of point out, the violin is a "tough act to follow."  :eek:ccasion14: 

I agree with Cageys first response, and second too, I've been a fan of you guys since the railroad track song, Your singer has an amazing voice, you guys will get break someday and all hell is gonna break loose for you guys.
I haven't listened to the 2nd version yet, but in the first the guitar playing is good but is too dominant and bright, I disagree about keyboards, but maybe a sax would sound good.
BTW I'm not a real musician, I just play one for my dog

Back