Long time, no see....

mullyman

Hey, doubt anyone remembers me, but, if anyone is out there that does, sorry I haven't been around for quite a while. Earlier this year I was hospitalized with a blood sugar level of 604 and an Ha1c of 15. For those that don't know those, the diagnosis was type 2 diabetes. Type 2 at such a level that had I dropped dead it wouldn't have been a surprise. Well, they put me in the hospital and I've been a good boy ever since. My last checkup, about a month ago, my blood sugar had a 30 day average of 101 and my Ha1c was down to 5.9. I've basically cut out any and all foods that aren't good for diabetes. Stopped drinking soft drinks, didn't go to diet, went straight to water only. I don't even drink milk anymore. On top of all of that I stopped smoking too. Will be 6 months here in about a week and a half. I do not miss cigarettes at all. Oddly enough, I smoked a pack a day for over 35 years, I dropped them cold turkey the day I went into the hospital and I haven't had a single craving. Do not miss them at all. Thank God because that would drive me batty. haha!!

Anyway, just wanted to check in and say hey. I hope everyone is doing well. I'm gonna go check in on the GOTM thread and see all the beauties in their glory.

P.S. Bought a solid white Music Man Axis EX (the EVH model made in Japan)

Notice the white of the Music Man isn't as white as the Warmoth. Granted, it's much older, but still. I don't think it was as white as Warmoth's Alpine White. BTW, for newer people, that Strat was GOTM for February 2010.....I think that's the right year.

Talk at ya's later,
MULLY

Glad you're okay, Mully.  If a brush with death is what it took to help you live better and longer, well, I won't say it must have been worth it, because I wouldn't presume - but for the folks in your life, I'm sure they're grateful that you got the word before they had to carry you out in a pine box.

Also, I see your electrical tape patch is holding up well.

Bagman67 said:
Glad you're okay, Mully.  If a brush with death is what it took to help you live better and longer, well, I won't say it must have been worth it, because I wouldn't presume - but for the folks in your life, I'm sure they're grateful that you got the word before they had to carry you out in a pine box.

Also, I see your electrical tape patch is holding up well.

Thanks, man. Hey, no doubt at all, I think that diagnosis is probably the best thing that has ever happened to me. I've been documenting my journey on my YouTube channel. So far I've lost about 60-70lbs. Still have quite a ways to go, but I'm feeling great and kicking diabetes right in the backside. I will defeat this.
MULLY

Logrinn said:
Welcome back.
Good to hear that you're getting better.

Thanks a lot. Feeling so much better it's not even funny. I think I got to a point where I thought feeling bad was how people normally felt. Man was I wrong. As strange as it sounds, diabetes has saved my life.
MULLY

Of course we remember.  Glad to see you are on the mend.  Take are of your self...diabetes is nothing to mess with.

a806dbda289d8265bc436237cdd78dd7.jpg

DMRACO said:
Of course we remember.  Glad to see you are on the mend.  Take are of your self...diabetes is nothing to mess with.

a806dbda289d8265bc436237cdd78dd7.jpg

Oh yeah, I'm crazy strict on my diet. No joke, I've even gone si far as to change the toothpaste I've used for 40 years. Aqua Fresh definitely has sugar in it, so, it's gone. My doc said that's a bit overkill, but, my numbers are perfect. My insulin is now half of what I was taking in March. I suspect it will go down even more after my next visit because I'm consistently in the 80's-90's with my blood sugar. I will defeat this disease. Trust me, there's no messing around here. I don't even entertain the idea of eating something I shouldn't. Im no hippy, but if I can be darn near full on vegan by the end of this year I'll be happy.
MULLY

Hey, Mullyman, glad to see you back! Sorry to hear about the condition, but happy to know you've got it under close control. Everyone's still putting together guitars here, so it'll be good to have your input.

Good to see you back Mully!

If I'm not mistaken, you did the awesome Maiden strat didn't you? Maybe that was someone else...

stratamania said:
Man that's a good loss of weight. Good luck with your new game plan.

Thanks. Still such a long way to go, but every day gets just a little easier. I've not set a grand goal. That would be too depressing as I'm still over 400lbs. My mantra has been "tomorrow let's not be where we are today".
MULLY

Cagey said:
Hey, Mullyman, glad to see you back! Sorry to hear about the condition, but happy to know you've got it under close control. Everyone's still putting together guitars here, so it'll be good to have your input.

I've got my mind set on another Van Halen related guitar. I'll post up about that later.
MULLY

rapfohl09 said:
Good to see you back Mully!

If I'm not mistaken, you did the awesome Maiden strat didn't you? Maybe that was someone else...

You're absolutely correct, it was someone else, and it was awesome. Hehe!! If I'm not mistaken you're thinking about the Aces High Stratocaster done up by ORCRiST. I have the Alpine white Strat, the Van Halen Frankenstein, and I previously had a cherryburst Strat.
MULLY

Welcome back.

Kudos for taking your health seriously. Bad eating and lifestyle habits creep up on you, and not everyone has the motivation to straighten up.

line6man said:
Welcome back.

Kudos for taking your health seriously. Bad eating and lifestyle habits creep up on you, and not everyone has the motivation to straighten up.

When I was 21 my dad died unexpectedly one morning while he was at work. He was 49, heart attack. I think it's always been in the back of my mind that I won't live any longer than my father did. I guess that's kind of a natural thing to feel. Anyway, I turned 48 on February 12th. On the 27th of February I was in the hospital. The doctor told me a whole lot of scary stuff. A few of the things he told me were....

"If you hadn't come in you probably would have died this year"

"Your condition is horrible, if you were to drop dead right now it wouldn't be a surprise"

"Your Ha1c is 15. That basically means that your blood is the consistency of ketchup. It's hard for the heart to pump that through. You are at high risk for heart attack or stroke"

That kind of talk really brought reality to the forefront for me. So many people have told me, "you should reserve a cheat day or you'll fall off the wagon". Ya know, I don't have a wagon to fall off of. I'm not on a diet trying to fit into my speedo by next summer. I'm having to literally make an entire lifestyle change. None of this is temporary. I honestly believe that by this time next year I won't be diabetic anymore. Regardless, even if I can get away from the insulin shots and pills, I know that going back to my old ways will only lead back to where I was. No thanks. I've talked with a lot of diabetics since this has started and everyone has a different story. I just can't understand the people that don't make all of these changes. Well, to be honest, my doctor even told me he was surprised at my progress because most people cheat at least a little. No way, baby!! MULLY don't play dat! For the first time in my life, I feel like I can outlive my father.
MULLY

I admire your attitude and wish you all the best. I hope you do defeat it by next year.

Back