Locking Tuners

Doughboy

Do locking tuners really make that big a difference in tuning stability on a strat?

I've always had regular gotoh mini tuners but for my next strat build, I'm thinking of the Schaller locking tuners if they actually make a big enough difference.

Also, does the added weight of the locking tuners make the neck a tad too neck heavy & possibly throw off the balance?

I have not found balance issues with the locking tuners. I use the Schaller Mini Locking ones. However, I am switching to the vintage style ones just for appearance. But in my experience (Alder body, one piece maple neck) I haven't had balance issues.

As for tuning stability, they work well. I like them a lot in that regard, but i can't compare them to the vintage style ones.

With more than minimal bar usage, yes. Can locking tuners have an effect on balance sure. Does a Strat balance well? Sure.
I know with a canary boatneck and locking schallers, the overall weight increased too much. Yes it is still balanced, but overall?

Looking to go to a 59 Canary neck and the LW locking Hipshot tuners.

Street Avenger said:
1. The tuning is more stable.

2. They weigh no more than standard tuners. Balance is not an issue.

+1

I put 'em on everything. My heaviest neck is an Ebony over Pau Ferro "Pro" model with Schaller Mini-lockers on it, and that on one of my lightest bodies is still balanced just fine.

Yeah, I put them on everything as well, even on my TOM LP. They are no harder to install or string up

PaulXerxen (nexrex) said:
Yeah, I put them on everything as well, even on my TOM LP. They are no harder to install or string up

Yep same here  :icon_thumright: .... I use Sperzel Lok

reinhold said:
I like them just because it takes so much faster change strings.

I like the fast change too. I think like most things it is a matter of preference but I also believe they help with tuning stability when using a trem.

I don't use the vibrato on my guitar so I can't weigh in there, but locking tuners are worth any extra weight or cost just for the time you save in restringing.  If it takes you longer than five minutes to restring a guitar with locking tuners, you either need to go out and buy a  $1.00 string winder or you're doing it wrong.

If you're using a string winder with locking tuners, you're not putting the strings on right. There shouldn't be more than a half to one turn on the peg. Any more than that, and you defeat the purpose of locking tuners in the first place.

Thanks for the info guys. I just put in my new order with Spike yesterday for a set of locking tuners....& a guitar to go around it. This one is gonna be a doozy.  :hello2:

Locking tuners are pretty overrated in terms of tuning stability. Tuning stability is mainly a function of your trem setup and your nut - slots are usually too tight. I still use them on most of my guitars, though.

Cagey said:
If you're using a string winder with locking tuners, you're not putting the strings on right. There shouldn't be more than a half to one turn on the peg. Any more than that, and you defeat the purpose of locking tuners in the first place.

Half a wrap on the peg is still 8 turns on the knob if you're using tuners with a 16:1 gear ratio or 16 turns if it takes a whole wrap.  It takes me 5 seconds tops to do that with a string winder vs. 15-20 with just my fingers.  That's shaves off maybe a minute to a minute and a half of my string changing time if I'm booking it, but more importantly, I don't have banged up, sore knuckles from trying to tune up quickly with my fat fingers.

Don't get me wrong - I own a string winder. Actually, I'm probably on my 4th or 5th one since I've been doing this for quite a while and they're easy to lose. I'm not trying to say they don't have a use. But, I only use it on the acoustic, which doesn't have locking tuners on it. Yet. Back during the '70s and part of the '80s, aka the end of the pre-locker era, I used that sort of tool on electrics, too. But, if you're counting seconds, what about all the time it takes to find the winder, pick it up, place it, use it, and set it down, only to repeat all that for the next string? My fingers are much faster, since they're attached to my hands and eliminate 4 of those steps. As for banging up knuckles on tuners, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe "slow down to speed up".

How do you get banged up, sore knuckles from putting strings on a locking tuner electric guitar?  :icon_scratch:

Back