Locking Nut On Hard Tail?

Heft

I'm considering putting a floyd rose nut on a guitar with a hard tail bridge. I'd like to have a titanium nut and I can't find a way of doing that other than the nuts that are out there for floyd rose. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

A locking nut would require a bridge with fine tuners.

With a locking lock, you tune the guitar, lock the nut (which usually adds tension and raises the pitch), then do the final, corrective tuning with the fine tuners at the bridge.

I don't intend to lock the nut down. I'll leave the hex screws and clamps in my guitar case. I plan on just using it like a bridge.

No, I wouldn’t leave the nut unlocked. There aren’t any grooves to adequately cradle the strings, just the V shaped slots. Those V’s are intentional wide and most strings will have a massive amount of room to dance around and rattle in them until you lock them down. The whole design relies on vising in the strings. It even takes some practice to lock the strings in “just right” so they don’t rattle.

I think you would be opening yourself up to a world of noisy frustration. Plus, when it doesn’t work, you have no alternative because of the nut shelf.

You would be better off getting a machinist to make you a titanium nut in a traditional style.

If you look at some good hi-res photos, you’ll see the slots are noticeably wider than some of the strings. In this pic, you can see the extra space on the low E and A strings. The clamp is all that keeps them from sliding around.
12387_MIK_FREDBOARD_SIDE_1.jpg

A quick search of a few seconds and I found this...

https://www.amazon.com/Guyker-43mm-Guitar-Nut-Pre-Slotted/dp/B07N5XKQ2T

I think a titanium nut is an awful idea, it's friction coefficient wrt steel is at least double that of modern nut materials. That's going to make tuning difficult.

Back