Lightly "burnishing" gloss poly finished necks?

Pazuzu93

So I ordered a neck and body recently. I'm a weirdo who likes glossy necks.

Only thing is, brand new gloss necks feel too slick to me. On my beloved Hagstrom Super Swede, I've played the guitar so much that the finish seems to have buffed out somewhat and doesn't feel super slick like my Classic Vibe Strat's neck does.

So I'm thinking about using a VERY fine abrasive pad, steel wool, emery cloth, or sandpaper (like several thousand grit) to buff it and make it a little less slick and more worn-in feeling. I'm just not sure what to buff it with. Any suggestions for material/grit etc. to avoid all those tiny white scratches in the finish?

I'm thinking extremely fine (around 3000 grit) sandpaper like you can get at an auto parts store. Am I crazy?

I would try some of 3M's "polishing paper". It's not like sandpaper - it's more of a fine cloth with embedded abrasive. Goes up to 8000 grit. Works miracles on metal, too, so don't be afraid to work your frets a bit.

Cagey said:
I would try some of 3M's "polishing paper". It's not like sandpaper - it's more of a fine cloth with embedded abrasive. Goes up to 8000 grit. Works miracles on metal, too, so don't be afraid to work your frets a bit.
You know those polishing papers are like crack to a polishing junkie, right? 3M's 1.0 micron paper is 15,000 grit equivalent. Flitz or Semichrome are coarser than that. They should come with a warning about the addictive qualities of extremely fine abrasive materials.

Yo is there a big #diff between the $25 stew mac 3m polishing papers 6-pack in the link above and the $11 3m polishing paper 6-pack that uses the same image also on Amazon?

No. In fact, I just got a pile of the stuff from Amazon. Exact same product. Stewmac is notorious for their markups.

SICK! you just gave me a guilt free, financially responsible trip to Lion's Choice for some dank-ass roast beef

BroccoliRob said:
SICK! you just gave me a guilt free, financially responsible trip to Lion's Choice for some dank-ass roast beef

Do they brew their own ranch, or do  they just buy it in 5-gallon drums from Sysco?

Bagman67 said:
BroccoliRob said:

Do they brew their own ranch, or do  they just buy it in 5-gallon drums from Sysco?
I wouldn't know, i bring my own ranch most places. fast food ranch is like gas station sushi - sure, its gon be delicious, but is it worth the risk? Also, you ever notice when someone says "it's like a metaphor", thats a simile?

one time i tried to bring my own milk to a restaurant but they wouldnt allow it so i told them they were being lactose intolerant, but nobody laughed even tho I thought that was a pretty sick burn

Or is it like the lone hot dog slowing rolling at 7-11, is it worth the risk, do you feel lucky!

Back