Light vs heavy alder hardtail strat body

nivraM

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about making a hardtail strat sometime soon. As far as body goes, would you guys recommend a lighter body or a heavier body for hardtail strats. I'm more interested in the sound than the confort. So heavy isn't a problem.

Thanks

I, personally, like heavy solid bodies because the gossip has always been that they have more sustain, but I'm not sure if there is any proof to this.
The talk about the newer chambered bodies is that they increase sustain but I have no *personal* proof of this either.

I'm fairly convinced that the neck shaft wood has more to do with the sound of a guitar than any other (non electronic) part, and that the bridge is the second most contributing element to sound.

Unplugged and just sitting right on my lap sound is important to me.
Maybe that's a good reason for my next build to be a chambered body?
I'm not sure about that but I'm sure that I'd love to see what others have to say about your question.

Light VS heavy?
Chambered VS solid?
... and how both have an effect on sound ... unplugged and also plugged in.

Steve_Karl said:
I, personally, like heavy solid bodies because the gossip has always been that they have more sustain, but I'm not sure if there is any proof to this.
The talk about the newer chambered bodies is that they increase sustain but I have no *personal* proof of this either.

I'm fairly convinced that the neck shaft wood has more to do with the sound of a guitar than any other (non electronic) part, and that the bridge is the second most contributing element to sound.

Unplugged and just sitting right on my lap sound is important to me.
Maybe that's a good reason for my next build to be a chambered body?
I'm not sure about that but I'm sure that I'd love to see what others have to say about your question.

Light VS heavy?
Chambered VS solid?
... and how both have an effect on sound ... unplugged and also plugged in.

First of all thank you for your reply. I'm glad to hear someone else being interested in my question. I also really was interested to know how the wight could affect the tone on a Hardtail Strat as there's more wood than a regular strat.

I agree with Steve. Even with a light body, there's a lot of mass to an electric guitar body relative to an acoustic, so there's not likely to be much response to the energy in the strings. The neck is the thing, and the anchor points for the strings. Not that the body and other factors are without influence, but in most cases it's pretty subtle compared to the neck, neck/body joint, bridge, and pickups.

nivraM said:
I'm thinking about making a hardtail strat sometime soon. As far as body goes, would you guys recommend a lighter body or a heavier body for hardtail strats.

Strats are great because of the contours for comfort and upper horn that prevents neck dive.  I usually focus on bodies in the 3 lb 4 - 10 oz range, preferably chambered.

Back