Light up or Leave me alone (It's a Traffic song)

BigBeard

Since when is drug culture humor a no no?  Barak Obama admitted to not only inhaling, but to snorting coke!!  If Jay Leno or Letterman made a funny about that, you'd laugh your butt off.  But someone brings it up on an internet forum and POOF..... gone.  Geez who would have thought that people who like to play the guitar sometimes smoke a little something something.  I'm not talking about crack either.

I'm no newbie to this forum, there was a day when you could have a sense of humor on here, now not so much :icon_scratch:

Honestly I find this kind of racial joking offensive  http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=11962.0 but I don't go reporting it to the admin.

I realize that this is a family forum, I have an 11 year old son who regularly reads with me, I'm in now way afraid or ashamed to show him stuff on here, including a little pot comedy!! 

If you think for a second that shielding your kids or someone else's kids from even the simple mention of the word joint or marijuana is helping the situation, you are dead wrong.  That is (in my opinion) bad parenting.  Kids are exposed to drugs and the drug culture everyday!!  Ever hear of a guy named Seth Rogan?  He's a comedian that is usually typecast as the 'pothead,' and I'd bet a lot of us think he is hilarious, because of his comedic view of pot.  He is part of mainstream Hollywood, stuff way more kids are exposed to than a question if you like bong hits on this little forum  If you aren't talking to your kids about drugs and being realistic, and forcing abstinence on them is not realistic, they are human beings they will do what you tell them they are not allowed to do.....

So instead of this 'drugs are bad because I said so' mentality maybe understand the choices that are out there for young people and instead of forcing your decisions (right, wrong, good or bad) on them, maybe a realistic approach of realizing that your kids are gonna do the same stupid stuff you did when you were thier age and when you find a bag of weed in little Jimmy's room, be glad that is all he is doing!! 

My boy is 11 as I said and we have had the discussion over and over that if he is ever out when he is of driving age, and gets intoxicated, weather he is 21 or not, that he can call us for a ride home, no questions asked.  But if he gets behind the wheel EVER even after having one, regardless of when he had it that night, he's gonna seriously regret driving, because that will be the last time.  That goes for getting in a vehicle with anyone who has been drinking.  We have always said he can call and we'll shutte all of his buddies home, too.  I think that is far more responsible parenting than saying "DON'T DO DRUGS AND DON'T DRINK" 

We started having these discussions with him 2 years ago.  Same thing with pot.  We realize kids 'experiment' with drugs, I'd rather him be responsible about experimenting than sneak around.  Now don't think, even for a second that I would  condone his eventual future drug use, or do drugs with him, but I'm realistic.  It's out there, he will be exposed to it.  We know this.  I'd rather him live his life to the fullest, and be exposed to these things than shelter him from everything soceity tells us to tell him is bad... So do we tell him to Nancy Reagan?  No, we tell him that it's ok to be responsible and that certian things are ok in moderation.  I'd rather know he is getting intoxicated or inebriated responsibly (meaning not driving!!) with pot or alcohol than huffing paint and shooting heroin!!  He knows at the tender age of 11 that coke and heroin are far worse choices to make than pot, and he knows that the use of those substances while living under our roof are not  approved under our rules, if we ever find any powdered drugs or the evidence of their use, he will be checked into rehab that day!!!  We have a 9 panel drug test here, he knows where it is, and he knows that if we suspect anything, we will test him.  He also knows, more importantly, that if he tells the truth, straight up, man up, the consequences of his decisions will be far easier on him than if he tries to lie to us.  Face it, when the heat is on, it's far easier to just lie than to be a man, so we give him credit and the benefit of the doubt when he 'mans up'  We have open communication about our expectations from him and any drinking or drug use he might or might not decide to partake in.  I think that is far better than just deleting a joke thread about the way you like to smoke...

Now, I have stated an opinion.  It is my opinion. Again, good, bad, right or wrong........  My opinion.  I'm not telling you to parent the way we choose to, and I'm not asking for parenting advice, I'm merely stating an opinion about an apparantly emotional subject.  These topics need discussed, not censored!!!!  This is why I have posted it in the off topic section.  It doesn't have to do with politics, or guitars.  It has to do with making decisions.  I'm not telling you to raise your kids the way we are raising ours, that isn't my intention. 

What I am saying is that my points are valid, and worth some thought.  And I know I'm not one of the 'cool kids' here on this forum, it has gotten very '8th grade school bus' around here.  So ad so doesn't like so and so, so they either blast them or report them.  I may be a little more 'direct' or 'crass' than others, but my points are still valid.  I also don't think someone with my guitar building knowledge should be banned because of my non guitar opinions or posts.  I don't swear, and I don't flame anybody.  While my opinions and beliefs may not be popular anymore, there is nothing disrespectful about this post, or any of my posts in a very long time.  I just get the feeling that my posts are under the microscope, with someone trying to find something to ban me for.  Now that's not cool.  I happen to like this forum and the group of people.  And I am a Turtle customer, maybe not the biggest spender, but I do plan to buy from them again, unless I keep feeling like I am not welcome here!  We all can get guitar parts elsewhere, but we CHOOSE to buy from the turtle and we CHOOSE to join this forum!!  I am in no way trying to put out a 'black cloud atmosphere,'  I get the feeling that a few on here don't like what I have to say, so they don't want me here.  Again, I haven't disrespected anyone on this forum that I can remember.  I haven't called anybody out... If anything, I am the one who is being singled out and gets the negativity.  Why? :dontknow:

It's not necessarily about anyone being right or wrong. I have my views on the subject just like many other people do, but bringing up sensitive issues (religion, politics, drug debate, legal prostitution, stem cell research, abortion, whatever...) on this forum is not such a great idea because it is bound to cause an useless argument unrelated to the forum's intended purpose.

rockskate4x said:
It's not necessarily about anyone being right or wrong. I have my views on the subject just like many other people do, but bringing up sensitive issues (religion, politics, drug debate, legal prostitution, stem cell research, abortion, whatever...) on this forum is not such a great idea because it is bound to cause an useless argument unrelated to the forum's intended purpose.

I hear you......

But you know, something in this country needs to be done about this prohibition.  People in some states can have access to it and some can't.  How is that equality?

This is a discussion that needs to be out in the open, and maybe we as a people can move forward.  The war on drugs was lost by the USA.... The drugs won.  DEA officials have admitted that it is a war that cannot be won...  So why waste the money?  Put the money to good use, like educating people.  We don't need more cops or guns....

I agree that this stuff shouldnt be talked about here for the reasons that Rockskte said. If you have a problem with the "man" and your drug use, move to a city that's gonna tolorate it. They are voting soon in San Jose Ca to legalize recreational use....

Brian

BigBeard said:
rockskate4x said:

I hear you......

But you know, something in this country needs to be done about this prohibition.  People in some states can have access to it and some can't.  How is that equality?

This is a discussion that needs to be out in the open, and maybe we as a people can move forward.  The war on drugs was lost by the USA.... The drugs won.  DEA officials have admitted that it is a war that cannot be won...  So why waste the money?  Put the money to good use, like educating people.  We don't need more cops or guns....

Ok ok, I see that you have a cause, and I respect that, but please take it to another forum where you can talk about this openly without breaking any of it's rules.

Oh by the way, I just broke off my tremolo arm INSIDE the bridge of my strat and if you know how to get those out it would be great if you weren't banned from this forum so you could help a brother out. Or if you have a guitar related question we could help you out, but again, only if you don't get banned.

You would understand if you had been here during the "should we agree to never discuss politics/religion/certain other things?" war.  It was bad.  It was very, very bad.  

I get it that you want to talk about this stuff, and that's good.  I think people should talk about it.  But there are entire forums dedicated to talking about it, and this one is supposed to be for guitars and learning how to build them.  Most of us get along with the other people here, and that's what makes things like coming together to help get knucklehead's bass built possible.  If we open up debates that people passionately disagree on, we're not going to get along as well, and stuff like that may not happen in the future.  

I don't have any kids.. I just have guitars.. so.. can we just talk about those? They might make a www.unoficialwarmothparenting.com forum later but you know... :icon_thumright:

rockskate4x said:
BigBeard said:
rockskate4x said:

I hear you......

Ok ok, I see that you have a cause, and I respect that, but please take it to another forum where you can talk about this openly without breaking any of it's rules.

Oh by the way, I just broke off my tremolo arm INSIDE the bridge of my strat and if you know how to get those out it would be great if you weren't banned from this forum so you could help a brother out. Or if you have a guitar related question we could help you out, but again, only if you don't get banned.

Ok point taken....

The trem arm broke in your strat......  Mine has a little spring in it under the arm so it can't bottom out.  Can you see the stub of the arm? Hmmm you actually stumped me bro...  I'm sure you can take the tremolo apart and get the sustain block out because I think the arm is mounted in that.  Got a pic I can see?  I can tell you with pretty good certainty that you are gonna be removing the trem.  Take it out and see if you can take it apart.  It's been a real long time since I messed with a strat trem.  If you post up some pics of just the trem, I'll step you through taking it apart.

hannaugh said:
You would understand if you had been here during the "should we agree to never discuss politics/religion/certain other things?" war.  It was bad.  It was very, very bad.  

I get it that you want to talk about this stuff, and that's good.  I think people should talk about it.  But there are entire forums dedicated to talking about it, and this one is supposed to be for guitars and learning how to build them.  Most of us get along with the other people here, and that's what makes things like coming together to help get knucklehead's bass built possible.  If we open up debates that people passionately disagree on, we're not going to get along as well, and stuff like that may not happen in the future.  

Hannaugh, as you are aware, I was absent for about a year.... I missed out on that war. And I'm glad I did honestly.  I didn't know there was an agreement about this, it's an unspoken agreement.  Nothing in the rules, really....  That was why I guess I was feeling a little under the microscope lately... This will be the last post I put up concerning this subject.  I am just really curious to the consensus of this group about this subject.  We are builders and musicians.  Creative people in our own ways.  I just wanted to see how creative like minded people felt about this particular subject.  

But as I said, I missed the war, so I guess I am the ignorant one, concerning what should and shouldn't be posted.  Thank you very much for pointing this out to me and being friendly about it.  The last thing I wanted to do was piss anybody off about this subject.

I totally agree with you that maybe this topic is for a different place, I honestly didn't know about the new agreement between us.  Now I do, and I look forward to moving on

I was reading the threads about Knuckle's bass and that is a really great story everybody contributing to help him out!!!!

And seriously dude, I'm not trying to hate.. you know that little about me.. but this place is generally for guitar times.. so we try to keep it to that.. it's not about who's cool and who isn't.. so let's build another project and help each other out.

Luke said:
And seriously dude, I'm not trying to hate.. you know that little about me.. but this place is generally for guitar times.. so we try to keep it to that.. it's not about who's cool and who isn't.. so let's build another project and help each other out.

I know, I know.  Sometimes in life we go through tough times.  Sometimes we all need to get what is on our chest off of it.  I've been in one of the longest ruts in history (3 years, lost the best job I ever had, got robbed etc etc) and talking guitars and building guitars and burning one once and a while has been getting me through......

I know times are tough all around, sometimes I feel like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders.  And sometimes I like to get a laugh out of someone, it helps me laugh and not feel so bad about myself, you know?

In coming back to the forum (and getting a new, used computer) it seemed like everybody got all uptight.....  I honestly didn't know there was a discussion on what was agreed not to discuss.  Now that I'm privy to all this (thanks Hannaugh for explaining it to me) I know where everyone is coming from......

You picking up what I'm putting down

I sincerely mean no disrespect to anyone.  For goodness sakes, I'm a Deadhead.  Peace and love and hugs, you know. 

That being said, I'm gonna practice Brown-Eyed Women, the latest Dead song I learned.  I'm starting to get into some of their tougher songs, so my playing has really progressed in the year I didn't have a computer!!!  Last year this time, I would look at the chords to that song, and go  :icon_scratch: now, I can play it the whole way through.  My wife sings (we just play around here in the house) but we are maybe thinking that my playing is getting good enough to get back into a band situation....  She has a great voice.... and we sound good together, at least we think so!!!

Cool, I'm glad we could be of help.  And like I said before, it's not that we all think no one should be talking about this stuff, it's just that we've found in the past that this isn't the best place to do it. 

If you want to talk to individuals about anything though, there is nothing stopping you from PMing people. 

BTW, I have that Traffic album with "Light Up or Leave Me Alone".  It's pretty good, I always liked it.  :icon_thumright:

hannaugh said:

BTW, I have that Traffic album with "Light Up or Leave Me Alone".  It's pretty good, I always liked it.  :icon_thumright:

Ahhh The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys!!!  One of my favorite songs and albums

"And the man in the suit has just bought a new car with the profit he made from your dreams"

BigBeard said:

I'll just add that since this is an international forum, "this country" feels like a bit of a put-down at times, at least to me. From what little I know of you Beardy I realise it's not meant as such of course, but still...!

We have had a few very heated shouting matches and I'm ashamed to say I participated in one or two of them. Politics is explicitly a no-no in the forum rules and I actually think they were even before the "wars". And for a good reason, we couldn't handle it like adults :sad1:

Anyway, rock on! I like your light hearted outlook here and I hope things get better in your life as soon as possible!

kboman said:
BigBeard said:

I'll just add that since this is an international forum, "this country" feels like a bit of a put-down at times, at least to me. From what little I know of you Beardy I realise it's not meant as such of course, but still...!

We have had a few very heated shouting matches and I'm ashamed to say I participated in one or two of them. Politics is explicitly a no-no in the forum rules and I actually think they were even before the "wars". And for a good reason, we couldn't handle it like adults :sad1:

Anyway, rock on! I like your light hearted outlook here and I hope things get better in your life as soon as possible!

:icon_thumright:

Basically what everyone else said. This forum is actually a bit more lenient about it than a lot of other guitar forums.

Congrats on 100 posts, btw.

I'd like to add a little admin perspective here before we wrap this thread up.

You'll note the board does not have an extensive list of do's and don'ts and this is intentional.  What I've experienced elsewhere is this often invites a legalistic approach to the rules and attempts at circumvention of said rules.  If there is a very well defined line, many people will do everything they can do push that line.  I'm not interested in playing those games.

Discussion of illegal activities is inconsistent with the intent of this board.  Take it to PM if you must discuss with another member or find a more appropriate forum.  If you are unsure if something would be inappropriate to discuss, I would encourage hanging around the board for a while to see where the existing discussions go. 

Rock on everyone!  Or country on!  Heck, let's polka!

Wyliee said:
I'd like to add a little admin perspective here before we wrap this thread up.

You'll note the board does not have an extensive list of do's and don'ts and this is intentional.  What I've experienced elsewhere is this often invites a legalistic approach to the rules and attempts at circumvention of said rules.  If there is a very well defined line, many people will do everything they can do push that line.  I'm not interested in playing those games.

Discussion of illegal activities is inconsistent with the intent of this board.  Take it to PM if you must discuss with another member or find a more appropriate forum.  If you are unsure if something would be inappropriate to discuss, I would encourage hanging around the board for a while to see where the existing discussions go. 

Rock on everyone!  Or country on!  Heck, let's polka!

Hey bud, I feel you.  I have been enlightened on the where's and why's of why I thought I was missing something.  I was missing something.

"If I told you about all that went down, It would burn off both your ears!  Goes to show you don't ever know, watch each card you play, and play it slow.  Wait until that deal go round.......Don't you let that deal go down, no, no"

It's all good in the hood.......

Luke said:
There will be no polka.

Are you guys aware that Western PA is a hotbed in the polka scene?  What you are probably asking right now, "Is there a polka scene?"  Well I'm here to tell you there is!!  Shoulda learned me some accordian!!!!  I'd have a gig 7 nights a week and twice on Sunday if I could play me some accordian!!!

Back