Les Paul SHOWDOWN

nathan a

Pick your favorite. The first should look familiar to some. All of these are mahogany/flame maple body, mahogany/ebony neck, ebony peghead veneer. Cream neck and body binding. The Dad les paul.

blackdyeLP.jpg

black gloss neck and body back.

greyLPchromecopy.jpg

chrome bridge

greyLPgoldcopy.jpg

gold bridge (keep in mind that real gold bridges don't look this muddy. damn kisakae)

greyLPblack.jpg

black bridge

The first is a black dye, the other 3 are the weathered grey dye (I just photoshopped W's showcase piece onto an LP body, so the color should be as accurate as their photo http://warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?itemNumber=PS2814&type=guitar.

So the question is: which top finish? Which bridge? And, black gloss  neck + body back or clear gloss?

My favorites are the first two. Undecided on the body + neck back finishes though. Help your brother out!

i personaly LOVE the first one.....the weatherd grey dye doesent do anything for me.....i think whatever finish you use you should use black hardware...

Bridge? I prefer a wraparound ala '54 Les Paul. Anything other than that horrendously over-engineered, horribly underthought Gotoh 510 calamity.

Other than that, #2 is my favorite.

The 2nd!
the silverburst lacks personality.. also doesn't go well with the cream p90s... in my opinion :)

To me the first one is the classiest. I think that sometimes less is more. "Elegantly simple, simply elegant."

Yeah, m4rk0 may have a point about the covers. Black maybe.

-TT-

Top one, but with black P90's.  The creme seems to detract from things... calls too much attention to itself.

I like the second one. With all that creme binding it makes sense to stay with creme pickups. As for the back and the neck, I reckon clear gloss. Why hide the mahogany/ebony neck/headstock treatment under boring black paint?

I like the first one and I would leave it just as it is, except maybe get that Gibson logo off of there!  :laughing11:

I'd say the first one, with black hardware and P90 covers.  Also black tuning machines, black nut, and black strings.  EVERYTHING MUST BE BLACK!!!

Oops, sorry, got a little excited there.  But yeah, blackburst with black hardware; or maybe weathered gray with gold, Dang I see your problem, the only solution is to build them both!

No2
Also, try the hairdryer to heat the paint.  You have nothing to lose ... but paint.

I'm not a fan of the black dye, I think it's too dark and hides the wood grain. From the pics you posted I prefer the 1st one and by far nickel hardware with this color.

I'm posting the two pics I sent to Warmoth as examples for a tele quilt top I found in the showcase. I wanted a different (lighter) black dye and they said they can do it. In March I will know...  :icon_smile:

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 308
  • Black Dye top.jpg
    Black Dye top.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 302
Kostas said:
I'm not a fan of the black dye, I think it's too dark and hides the wood grain. From the pics you posted I prefer the 1st one and by far nickel hardware with this color. I'm posting the two pics I sent to Warmoth as examples for a tele quilt top I found in the showcase. I wanted a different (lighter) black dye and they said they can do it. In March I will know...  :icon_smile:

Kostas, if you don't mind my asking, how much did that custom finish cost you? I also want a lighter black dye, which is why I hesitated from ordering the first LP mock-up. If I could do that -- like yours--, but with my black bursted edges, I'd be in heaven!

nathan a said:
Kostas, if you don't mind my asking, how much did that custom finish cost you? I also want a lighter black dye, which is why I hesitated from ordering the first LP mock-up. If I could do that -- like yours--, but with my black bursted edges, I'd be in heaven!

$305 ιncluding the clean line option.
http://www.warmoth.com/paint/paint.cfm?fuseaction=dye_black

Kostas, I'm a little confused. Here's the response I just got from Dan:

"I hope nobody around here told you that the dye could be made lighter, that’s really dependent on the wood and how much dye it soaks up, no 2 pieces are the same, so there is no option for lighter black dye."

It would be better to provide a pic and show exactly what you need. That's what I did.

Back