LEFTY POLL!

How many of you play guitar left-handed? And please vote on your favorite left-handed guitarist belo

• Jimi Hendrix

Votes: 33 37.5%
  • Paul McCartney

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Albert King

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Tony Iommi

Votes: 17 19.3%
  • Kurt Cobain

Votes: 10 11.4%
  • Elliot Easton

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Dick Dale

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other (please list)

Votes: 9 10.2%

• Total voters

TexxasJam

Alright you lefties sound off!  Myself, I am a righty who is "forced" to play left-handed due to a broken finger on my lefthand that never healed properly.  I like playing lefty, I stand out in what ever band I've played in because of it.

Interesting article on Left-Handed Guitarists
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_musicians_who_play_left_handed

I'm a partial lefty who plays righty because it makes more sense to have my good hand on the frets.

Doug Pinnick is a bad ass lefty bass player (King's X)

Sorry, cannot vote. Cannot pick King James over Albert, and vice versa.

Strewth :eek:  Righties playing Lefty?  Lefties playing Righty?  :icon_scratch:
I'm a lefty that plays lefty  :laughing7:
I voted "other"  Doyle Bramhall lll ( he plays lefty STRUNG righty)  :doh:

I'm the only righty in my family... both my parents are lefties, and so is my brother.

willyk said:
I voted "other"  Doyle Bramhall lll ( he plays lefty STRUNG righty)  :doh:

I thought he was the II?  Anyway, I'm pretty sure he got the idea from me.  :laughing11:  Actually, I only started doing it that way because I didn't know any better and then by the time I realized it, I didn't care to re-learn and found it cool that I could make different sounds than what my friend was doing.  Plus, it makes it a lot easier to borrow guitars/play your friend's guitars.

TexxasJam said:
Alright you lefties sound off!   Myself, I am a righty who is "forced" to play left-handed due to a broken finger on my lefthand that never healed properly.  I like playing lefty, I stand out in what ever band I've played in because of it.

Did you already learn right-handed and then re-teach yourself lefty or did you start playing guitar after your finger broke?  I mean, I've played righty for kicks, and I imagine I could learn it with enough practice, but I imagine it to be rather frustrating.  How long did it take you to be able to play well?  (assuming you did have to re-learn, that is..)

Mr Real Nice said:
TexxasJam said:
Alright you lefties sound off!   Myself, I am a righty who is "forced" to play left-handed due to a broken finger on my lefthand that never healed properly.  I like playing lefty, I stand out in what ever band I've played in because of it.
[/quote
Did you already learn right-handed and then re-teach yourself lefty or did you start playing guitar after your finger broke?  I mean, I've played righty for kicks, and I imagine I could learn it with enough practice, but I imagine it to be rather frustrating.  How long did it take you to be able to play well?  (assuming you did have to re-learn, that is..)

No, I started learning to play later in life than most people. Late 20's. Anyway, a friend of mine who was an accomplished guitarist gave me my first lessons. He taught me several basic chords. I soon discovered that I couldn't make some of the chords with the "crippled" finger. Pinky finger for those of you that care. To make a long story shorter (hopefully) I opted to learn to play left handed before I got too far along in my lessons. Learning to play guitar was somthing I always wanted to do and it was important to me to learn to play properly so I decided to learn to play lefty and use my "healthy" hand (right) for fretting. It was awkward at first given the years of playing "air guitar" right-handed but over time it became more and more comfortable play lefty. It took only a short time to get used to it.

So I'm the only one to vote for good ol' Paul?

In all fairness, he was a bassist mostly.

I'm a lefty who plays righty like Drex.  Made more sense to me when I picked up the guitar to push the strings down with my strong hand... Doesn't really matter tho....I still suck.... :party07:

Wana_make_a_guitar said:
You guys know by adding -y to lefty and right makes it longer don't you?Lefty-left Righty-right

???  I don't even know what you were trying to say here.

Anyway... I don't see how you could justify picking any of those guys over Hendrix.  The only one even close to his league is Iommi.

I'm ambidextrous, I chose to play left handed as the music just seemed to flow better that way, and everytime I picked up a guitar it would be the left handed way round. My favourite lefty, Hendrix of course, he's what inspired me to play guitar, Zacky Vengeance my second favourite lefty just clinched it.

NonsenseTele said:
My good DBW, have you ever heard beatles?? Well, I'm going to vote ol' McCartney!
Good man!
Even if he isn't the most technically skilled guitarist, he is certainly a great lefty!

Max said:
Good man!
Even if he isn't the most technically skilled guitarist, he is certainly a great lefty!

Well, he plays bass, guitar, piano, drums and some more instruments and composed some of the best musics ever made.. he is a skilled musician, bloke!

Back