LEFTY POLL!

How many of you play guitar left-handed? And please vote on your favorite left-handed guitarist belo

• Jimi Hendrix

Votes: 33 37.5%
  • Paul McCartney

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Albert King

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Tony Iommi

Votes: 17 19.3%
  • Kurt Cobain

Votes: 10 11.4%
  • Elliot Easton

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Dick Dale

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other (please list)

Votes: 9 10.2%

• Total voters
Max said:
So I'm the only one to vote for good ol' Paul?

In all fairness, he was a bassist mostly.

He was a better guitar player than George and John and was originally a guitar player.  He wrote those songs on a guitar and/or piano.

Yup. But Stuart Sutcliffe died, and his position as bass had to be taken over.

:p I know my Beatles trivia.

I know Lennon wasn't the most amazing guitarist.

I play righty, but trained to become ambidextrous in histology/organic chemistry labs in order to save time.

Well, 2:37 back to studying for the MCAT lol.

UTSC said:
I play righty, but trained to become ambidextrous in histology/organic chemistry labs in order to save time.

Good luck...I took that test in 1988.

Max said:
Yup. But Stuart Sutcliffe died, and his position as bass had to be taken over.

:p I know my Beatles trivia.

I know Lennon wasn't the most amazing guitarist.

Yes Max, you do.  And I'd also like to add that your comments in other posts show wisdom beyond your years.  You know more than any 15 year old should.  Most 15 year olds don't even know who Keith Richards is, and you're building your own version of his guitar and finishing it yourself.  Ooops, borerline thread hijack.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Max said:
I think it scares my friends.

When Paul played drums, did he rearrange the set to be lefthanded?

I'm almost positive this is a no.  Although I know TWO righties who play backwards drum kits.  Neither are really drummers, though.

And yes, Paul McCartney is an unequaled songwriter, a superb musician, and a decent guitarist.  But the question wasn't who's your favorite lefty musician, and Hendrix is my favorite lefty guitarist.

DocNrock said:
UTSC said:

Good luck...I took that test in 1988.

Thanks! It wasn't too bad really, I did get a boring article in the verbal section though, something about Renaissance Woman's Art, while reading it all I could think about was how my girlfriend could read this crap (she's a humanities major).

Gotta go with Iommi, and Easton second.

Iommi's got the fat, heavy tone and cool riffs, and Easton (The Cars) is as tasty a player as any.

And yes, I am left-handed.

Superlizard said:
Gotta go with Iommi, and Easton second.

Iommi's got the fat, heavy tone and cool riffs, and Easton (The Cars) is as tasty a player as any.

And yes, I am left-handed.

Finally, Elliot Easton gets some recognition. I included him on the poll because I always thought he was a good guitarist. He certainly helped define New Wave guitar.

Here's some Elliot vids. The first is a solo effort called Like a Wheel. The second is a Cars tune called Double Life.
The third and fourth are The Cars classics Shake It Up and Drive featuring Super Hottie and Rick Ocasek wife Paulina Porizkova. How did Rick manage to land her for life? :icon_scratch:

Like a Wheel
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBRc4pLkMlM[/youtube]

Double Life - Solo at 1:49
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSu8_4LBC1I&feature=related[/youtube]

Shake It Up - Solo at 1:20 ...and one of my favorites
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqlCCqO8wWA[/youtube]

Drive (very little Elliot here and no solo)
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBLGlb-MOGg[/youtube]

Is four videos enough? Sorry its Saturday afternoon and I have nothing better to do.  :eek:ccasion14:

TexxasJam said:
The third and fourth are The Cars classics Shake It Up and Drive featuring Super Hottie and Rick Ocasek wife Paulina Porizkova. How did Rick manage to land her for life?

It's so obvious.  That awesome haircut.

I am a lefty and I voted other.  My favorite Left-handed guitarist is:  ME!!!

I wish I could play right handed it would make my life so much easier.  If you handed me a right handed guitar and put a gun to my head and said play me mary had a little lamb, I'd just tell you to stop wasting time and pull the trigger.  I cannot do it, too much lefty air guitar when I was a kid.  As my left hand is my dominant hand, my right hand follows it's lead so to speak. 

I do a lot of things right handed, like scissors and shooting a gun.  I can play the drums on a regular kit.  But the guitar I can't go the other way it won't work.  I have taught myself how to read tab which is sort of upside down and backwards.  I have to think about what I am doing when I work on a right handed guitar it is that backwards to me.  I even have to play guitar hero left handed, I tried it right handed and wow I was terrible!!!!

Firstly - first post - hi all ;-)

Secondly - I just had to vote for Jimi. Ask 'most' none-guitarists to name the 'greatest' guitarist of all time, and I'm sure his name would come up more than any other.
You have to admit he did revolutionise the way most people viewed what a guitar could do.

Thirdly - I am right handed, but am currently trying to learn to play left handed after an accident on my left hand.
(Had three fingers cut off !!! Two are back on again, but just don't bend very well at all)
I had played right handed for about 16 years before my accident.
Now (ten years later) I've got myself a cheap left hand acoustic, and (if all goes well) plan to make a pretty good electric in a bout a years time - with a lot of help from Warmoth.

Don't know why I'm telling you all of this, but I suppose it gives me a good insight into the pros/cons of being a lefty or a righty (?)

Toni Iommi was pretty good too though.

Hey! Welcome to the forum!  :eek:ccasion14:

Really sorry to hear about your accident! Hope you can get your playing ability back!

I can't see problems bigger than difficulty to find guitars... And the weird look  :toothy12:
Basically it's the mirrored thing...

In your case is completely different, you'll have to change completely the way you play after 16 years... To be sincere, because of it I think you'll have big difficulty, but not bigger enough to say it's a stupid run... I believe we can do incredible things when we are stubhead-focused and stimulated...
If it don't work, you can always do as the shredders and do bends with a Floyd Rose  :laughing7:
Feel free to send me messages at any time that you need motivation or whatever! Big respect for people don't aceppting life's shite on face!  :icon_thumright:

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
RmB303 said:

And also missing finger parts on left hand.
Pretty sure the fingertips were missing on his right hand, his fretting hand..  made those plastic/rubber tips for them..  wild stuff

I'm a lefty but play right handed.  I started playing at about 10 maybe but hated it cause my teacher sucked.  Then I picked it up again bout 2 years ago.  My new teacher (whose awesome) says I'm one of the better students he's had.  (Hope I didn't come across as braggy there)   

I'm voting for Tony.  I'm not a huge sabbath fan but I didn't want to vote Hendrix cause everyone was and he's probably my second favorite lefty.

Neil Stryker X said:
[Pretty sure the fingertips were missing on his right hand, his fretting hand..  made those plastic/rubber tips for them..  wild stuff

You're right.  That occurred to me after posting.  Jerry Garcia and Phil Keaggy (both righties) are both missing part os their middle finger on their picking hand.  We've also pics of Django's hands.  Apparently ability isn't limited by anatomy, atleast for some.

RmB303 said:
Firstly - first post - hi all ;-)

Secondly - I just had to vote for Jimi. Ask 'most' none-guitarists to name the 'greatest' guitarist of all time, and I'm sure his name would come up more than any other.
You have to admit he did revolutionise the way most people viewed what a guitar could do.

Thirdly - I am right handed, but am currently trying to learn to play left handed after an accident on my left hand.
(Had three fingers cut off !!! Two are back on again, but just don't bend very well at all)
I had played right handed for about 16 years before my accident.
Now (ten years later) I've got myself a cheap left hand acoustic, and (if all goes well) plan to make a pretty good electric in a bout a years time - with a lot of help from Warmoth.

Don't know why I'm telling you all of this, but I suppose it gives me a good insight into the pros/cons of being a lefty or a righty (?)

Welcome to the Forum!  :eek:ccasion14:

Back