Lefty LP for my son the Zakk Wyldd fan

riverbluff

Here is the Lefty LP my son and I built for him.  He learned alot about how a guitar goes together and he absolutly loves the guitar.  He made all the decisions on what he wanted.  It is a big upgrade from his squire strat and should be a guitar he keeps/plays for many years to come.

Body is Mahogany with a flame maple top (it was a shame to waste a flame top on a solid colour guitar, I just hope it was an ugly piece of wood  :sad1:)

Neck is Maple with indian rosewood finger board (maple because that is what is on Zakk's LPs).  Skull and bones inlays with graphite nut.

EMG Zakk Wyldd pickups.

The thing sounds absolutly great.  Very tight sound with plenty of mid.  All I have heard in the house for the last week is Black Sabbath (Don't get me wrong, I'm  not complaning!) :party07:

2633688391_7f0f6a5b37_b.jpg

Oh Yeah... Neck Plate by DangerousR6

2633688757_d2e18b1340_b.jpg

2634509474_7a94a903c8_b.jpg

2634510364_3c3136976b_b.jpg

I was able to avoid all the mistakes I made on my LP build.  Could be more pleased with the way this guitar turned out.  Wish I was still a lefty!

nice axe!

I dont wish to be a pain in the ass, but was rosewood a specific choice? zakk has an ebony board.... I prefer ebony's feel, slickyness and tone, but if your son loves rosewood over ebony, I can perfectly 'live' with that. I'm just curious :)

and sabbath? yeah! this axe is layed down for sabbath

ps; same thing for the binding on the body :) .

Orpheo,

I rolled in a bit for price reasons.  The wife about had a heart attck when she saw the price as it was... :laughing7:

I did cut a few cornors for $$$$ reasons.  rosewood over ebony and no binding.  The trade off was the custom inlays.  The choice was his. 

I am sure he will progress to Black Lable Society stuff within the year.  Although he is a big Wyldd fan, his playing is to to that level yet (hell, neither is mine!)  But, if he keeps improving the way he has over the last couple months, he will be able to kick my butt soon. 

I noticed a maked improvement in his playing since he got this guitar.  It plays better then his strat, but I really think it is a motivation thing more then anything else.

Orpheo said:
I dont wish to be a pain in the ass,

really? I don't believe you hahaha ;)

Cool guitar - can you adopt me? I just need an Explorer and I'm done, thanks. ;)

Bit to old for me to adopt...

But being a Steeler fan, the black and gold would really rock together!

weird - we're steelers fans too and I never thought of that:

(just an excuse to post my stuff again hehehe http://www.wfzr.net/img/gdguitars1.jpg - even put the black and gold together)

though my GT always makes me think of USC with the red and gold...

riverbluff said:
Orpheo,

I rolled in a bit for price reasons.  The wife about had a heart attck when she saw the price as it was... :laughing7:

I did cut a few cornors for $$$$ reasons.  rosewood over ebony and no binding.  The trade off was the custom inlays.  The choice was his. 

I am sure he will progress to Black Lable Society stuff within the year.  Although he is a big Wyldd fan, his playing is to to that level yet (hell, neither is mine!)  But, if he keeps improving the way he has over the last couple months, he will be able to kick my butt soon. 

I noticed a maked improvement in his playing since he got this guitar.  It plays better then his strat, but I really think it is a motivation thing more then anything else.

hmm okay. good call :) (eventhough an ebony board is just 16 bucks more ;) ) but indeed, binding is quite expensive.

anyway: cool project! not just the build, but also the thought behind the build.

Good job on the guitar and Great job on being a cool Dad!!  You son will always love this axe!

:icon_thumright:

RK

That was quick, getting that done.  Congrats to you for being a great pops, and to your son for an axe he'll love for years. 

I did the math, and an wenge/ebony neck is 1 dollar more expensive than a maple/rosewood neck with finish....(173+115 for finish compared to 289 for the other).

Yep, I tried to talk him into a raw wood neck, but he wanted one that was finished to match the body.  I wanted it to be his guitar, so we built it the way he wanted it.

riverbluff said:
Yep, I tried to talk him into a raw wood neck, but he wanted one that was finished to match the body.  I wanted it to be his guitar, so we built it the way he wanted it.

again, good agruement :)  I took a look at your other guitar, and I figured; why?? but yeah, this is a good one, again :)

:rock-on:

oh, and by the way?

:kewlpics: :cool01:

just curious...why the maple top body??  What it a tone/sound issue???  Like you said...seems like a waste of at least $120.

GO STEELERS!

that is the tradition LP combo - solid color paint job or not... though some are all mahogany, but not as many.

dmraco said:
just curious...why the maple top body??  What it a tone/sound issue???  Like you said...seems like a waste of at least $120.

GO STEELERS!

just for the sound. maple will give you a tighter, punchier sound. less mushy.

Very bad ass build there Bill, great to see your son has a ramped up motivation. Something like a great guitar really helps, but it woulda been better as you suggested with the raw neck.... :icon_thumright:

And the Steelers  SUCK........ :icon_biggrin:

GO COWBOY'S

If he keeps going the way he has been, he'll kick my butt (in a few months) in an axe duel.  It is cool to sit and jam with hime though.  My youngest is learning the drums and is to the point he can keep a basic beat, so we sit and do some easy jams.  Pretty cool.

Bill

that's like my dream - - it's a long way off and I'm already getting sore joints in fretting hand hahaha. I hope my guys are into music. My youngest definitely has drummer potential. He's been a kicking and flailing maniac since before birth hahaha ;)

Back