LED

Heft

So I got this idea. I'd like to use an LED behind the control plate in my tele. I don't want to use any active stuff. How long would 1 9V power an LED? Would it be a set it and forget it proposition?

Probably for a very long time.  But you'd want some kind of mechanism for turning it off - like a ground interrupter on the output jack (Switchcraft part number 12B).  You will also need a current limiting resistor.  3k3 for Red for example.

rick2 said:
How about connecting it to your kill switch?

They have ready made killswitch kits with an led and battery. Where will you be putting the battery? Probably not in the tele control cavity with your output jack and pots.

Spud said:
rick2 said:
How about connecting it to your kill switch?

They have ready made killswitch kits with an led and battery. Where will you be putting the battery? Probably not in the tele control cavity with your output jack and pots.
I had this idea of ordering a S style body instead of a T Style and using a clear pickguard. But I think I'll order the T Style. I find the most fun in planning these projects out.

So I got another Idea. What if I used LED rings underneath clear speed knobs on my Tele?
https://nextgenguitars.ca/products/led-ring-choose-colour-clearance.html

Sure - why not?

You'll need some way of affixing the ring mind you (those rings are sized for footswitches - a potentiometer nut will just go right through the middle).  You'll need to figure out how to run the wires up there as well. 

Heft said:
So I got this idea. I'd like to use an LED behind the control plate in my tele. I don't want to use any active stuff. How long would 1 9V power an LED? Would it be a set it and forget it proposition?

How long a 9v would power that LED depends on the LED's mAH consumption rating. I personally would want a battery box routed for it.  I once bought a Partscaster that had EMGs installed, and the person had just secured the 9v underneath the pickguard.  Imagine the colossal hassle of having to dismantle the guitar just to replace the battery.

(I suppose in comparison to the actual routing and installing the box as well as drilling the wiring channel is just as much work, if not more, but I guess the difference will be "tons of work now" or "constant fiddling around later")

But otherwise, definitely a resistor of some sort based on the input voltage rating of the lights.

Oh yeah ... if you're going to put in batteries have warmoth rout a battery box.

It depends.  LEDs come in all different shapes, sizes, and colours.  9V's come in different types, as well.  If you have an LED that draws 10 mA and a battery that supplies 500 mAhrs, which would both be somewhere around the middle of the realm of reality, then you should expect approximately 50 hours of use before it goes out.  If you use a large or bright LED, as opposed to a small indicator light, that could drop significantly.  If you use an old NiCd battery or the battery is powering anything other than the LED, then the life will drop significantly.  For example, some old NiCd's only had a capacity of about 150 mAhrs, and a big LED might require as much as 100 mA, then you get an hour and a half of life.

On the other hand, maybe you go with a really efficient, small LED that draws only 6 mA and a beefier lithium 9V that has a capacity of 1200 mAhrs, then you could get 200 hours.

So, anywhere between one hour and maybe upwards of two hundred hours, depending.

Back