Lawerence500XL with a Jazzbucker in the neck?

Mr. Brian

This is looking like the possible pickup combination for my Christmas present, a BC Rich Mockingbird, that my family is getting for me.  How do you guys think these two will work together?  I was thinking of getting a JB for the neck but I'd like to hear some opinions. 

the lawrence is my favorite bridge pickup.
I's suggest the duncan Jazz ofr the '59, which is kind of the "classic" mate to the Lawrence.
Of course, you can always get a matching set of XL500s!

I'd advise against teh JB in the neck, to my ears it doesn't have enough 'glass' for that cool noodly sound on leads.

I was contemplating getting another 500 but I've had this Jazz for five years now and I've been wanting to drop it into something forever.  I guess I'll find out how much I like it soon!

My favorite combination is an L500 XL bridge and a noiseless single coil neck, but bear in mind that the L500 is really powerful, so if you like the combination settings you'll want to have separate volume controls for each PU so that you can balance the outputs. Even Bill Lawrence himself acknowledges that the L500XL is tricky to use in combinations. I'm really used to fiddling with things in the Gibsonian 4-knob setup so I don't mind, but you can't just drop an L500 into a Strat or something and expect everything to act right. :eek:

sounds like you've got the right idea.
i am not a fan of the jb, but i have never tried it in the neck. i always found it overbearing and understand why people use it in strats with 250kpots.
since you have the jazz i'd use it and only switch to the jb if the jazz can't be balanced with the l500

that being said you know that the l500xl from bill lawrence usa is not from bill lawrence, i heard he sold his designs or something. you must contact his wife directly and wait patiently for her reply. good people but sometimes your initial request gets put aside for some time.

you know your at the right website when there is no shameless plugging of the bill lawrence name and alot of talk about eddy currents and magnetic circuits. i'd buy the dime bucker from SD before an l500 from "bill lawrence usa"

http://www.billlawrence.com/

Back