Language question

"The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" (full title, I wiki'd it) - normally United Kingdom or UK: is England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland.
"Britain" is England, Wales, Scotland, NOT Northern Ireland

The British Isles would include Great Britain, all of Ireland, and all the other smaller islands in the area.

To clarify...

Yes, when I wrote Canadian/American, it was meant to differentiate, not to combine.  I know that different parts of the States, and different parts of Canada each have thier own unique accents.  That is kinda what prompted my question in the first place.

SustainerPlayer said:
AutoBat said:
just remember, everyone that lives in the colored portion of this map is an American:

Well. I never heard any Greenlandic citizens referring to themselves as Americans.  :eek:

That's because they're Danes.

SustainerPlayer said:
AutoBat said:
just remember, everyone that lives in the colored portion of this map is an American:

Well. I never heard any Greenlandic citizens referring to themselves as Americans.  :eek:
That's hilarious because I nearly mentioned that but figured no one else would think of it.

mayfly said:
OzziePete said:
pabloman said:
BTW Don't ever group America and Canada together as if they are one ever again.
Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
+1

It's an insult to Canadians.

I guess it's kinda like New Zealanders taking umbrage to being called Aussies. :laughing7:

For extra fun ask an Irishman which part of England they are from.  Make sure you have running shoes on.

Punch them in the face as well, I hear they don't like that.

Guess it all boils down to what they think of the people who live in the countries around them. Or maybe it is the need to have a national Identity.
It may seem small to you, but to them it is serious.
Funny what people can find important. And funny how accents can effect a language.

AutoBat said:
SustainerPlayer said:
AutoBat said:

That's hilarious because I nearly mentioned that but figured no one else would think of it.

Well - I'm danish  :icon_biggrin:

line6man said:
Jusatele said:
I have a friend who is a Chinese national, he told me once the hardest thing ab out learning English is that we have too many words. just look at the words all for dogs:stud, gyp, puppy,bitch, cur, mongrel,and the list goes on, instead of just dog, boy dog, girl dog, young dog.
he also states that we have to many countries speaking English and they all use different words or pronunciations.
Oh well.

Yeah, but the Chinese language has WAY too many characters in it! :blob7:

Something close to 5000 isn't it?

mayfly said:
OzziePete said:
pabloman said:
BTW Don't ever group America and Canada together as if they are one ever again.
+1

It's an insult to Canadians.

I guess it's kinda like New Zealanders taking umbrage to being called Aussies. :laughing7:

For extra fun ask an Irishman which part of England they are from.  Make sure you have running shoes on.

For even more fun, ask a Scottish person which part of Ireland they are from.

Or worse, ask a Dutch person from which part of Germany they are....

or ask them, soo, you are from the Netherlands? is that close to Amsterdam?

and for some weird reason, people always seem to confuse me with the danish (no offense Sustainer) and come up with smart ass comments like, "so in your country, do you just call it a pastry"?  I always pretend like I have no idea what they are talking about..

Marko said:
Or worse, ask a Dutch person from which part of Germany they are....

or ask them, soo, you are from the Netherlands? is that close to Amsterdam?

and for some weird reason, people always seem to confuse me with the danish (no offense Sustainer) and come up with smart ass comments like, "so in your country, do you just call it a pastry"?  I always pretend like I have no idea what they are talking about..

Aren't you Belgian? I could have sworn..

Marko said:
and for some weird reason, people always seem to confuse me with the danish

I've done that on here, knowing full well the difference between the 2.
can I say something, I have traveled the orient a lot in my life, so I am sensitive to cultural and national differences, I truly do not like to insult guys because of boundaries,  so please guys, correct me I will not get offended, after all if you called me a Californian, I would proudly stand up, show you a tattoo of a Rebel Battle Flag on my right arm and tell you was born in Dixie, and those who know me know I am 1/4 black so I am not a racist with that flag.

What I am trying to say is: some of us live 3000 miles away, we are not trying to insult, we just do not know these sensitivities.

I do not get offended or insulted if you mistake my nationality. Except if you mistake me for a Swede. But if you step back and think it over thoroughly ... why would you call anyone a Swede? 

:icon_jokercolor:

Nah ... it's all good fun.  :laughing7:

Back