Lamtop size and colour

PitchShifter

A couple of quick questions regarding lamtops.

1. Can the size of the lamtop be reduced to produce the attached effect?

2. Would Warmoth apply a dyed finish to a spalted maple lamtop?  I realise it's a gorgeous wood...

1.) You could call/email and ask, but I doubt it. You could order a regular laminate top and get somewhat close to that effect going through an enormous pile of sandpaper in the process.

2.) Again, call & ask, would seem a shame to do so; all spalted maple tops from Warmoth have bindings and some form of clear epoxy like resin soaked into the splat maple to harden it, and are finished in a clear gloss top coat. I don't know if the spalted maple will take dye very well, you could shoot a transparent color on top, but why spend the $$$ on spalted maple to cover it up in any way with the finish?

Aye, it's something I'm somewhat torn about.  I love the pattern with the long lightening-like streaks, and the contrast areas (much more than quilted or flame). I don't like the natural blonde colour of the wood. Essentially, I'd want to "monochrome" it.

PitchShifter said:
A couple of quick questions regarding lamtops.

1. Can the size of the lamtop be reduced to produce the attached effect?

2. Would Warmoth apply a dyed finish to a spalted maple lamtop?  I realise it's a gorgeous wood...

No and no.  Spalt would soak up entirely too much dye and would be very splotchy.

you can get a wood router or edge trimer and a radiused bit with a guide bearing. i'd suggest to do without the forearm contour. but if you wanted it i think you could make it work with a little sanding to blend it in.

if you did this to a painted top the edges obviously would show bare wood, that might look cool too.

good luck looks like a cool idea

At this stage, still just an idea.  I've got like 3 builds in various stages, so I think my brain is getting a bit over-active now..LoL.

Back