lacquer drying

dmraco

Master Member
I have a question about lacquer drying.  I have always used the smell test when checking.  Typically I would hang the body in a room and check it weekly.  When the smell of lacquer was gone, I figured the finish was done drying and gassing.  This usually took about 4-5 weeks.

I have started using WATCO Brushing lacquer that I have thinned with lacquer thinnner about a 3:1 ratio depending on humidity, then sprayed on to the body and neck.  The lacquer can says 7 days.  I will say after 5-6 days the smell was gone.  I did lay it on THICK because this was a metal flake finish that took several coats to get the desired flake coverage.  The clear top coats were also as robust to get the flake buried in clear.

I did spray a piece of scrap that I may try to start sanding.  I usually start with 600 grit. 

Thoughts??

Maybe cut your test scrap in pieces, or mask it, so you can try sanding part of it now, and if there are issues, you can wait another few days and try the next segment?

It depends on the mix. For instance, Stewmac is slow drying, yet Mohawk (StewMac supplier) is faster, and some are ready for polishing in a few days. It may be ready, and probably is, but considering the thick clear coat that is needed to bury metal flake, I would err on the side of caution and would just set it aside for a month before sanding/buffing.

I've used Watco lacquer quite extensively for my builds, both rattle can and the pure stuff in the quart pails.  When spraying with Watco, I used a 1:1 ratio of lacquer:thinner  After almost a week, you're good to go.  I've not had any issues with chemical incompatibilities after even a few days.

It's not the most durable of finishes, for sure.  But for basic protection, it's adequate and dries fast.

NedRyerson said:
I've used Watco lacquer quite extensively for my builds, both rattle can and the pure stuff in the quart pails.  When spraying with Watco, I used a 1:1 ratio of lacquer:thinner  After almost a week, you're good to go.  I've not had any issues with chemical incompatibilities after even a few days.

It's not the most durable of finishes, for sure.  But for basic protection, it's adequate and dries fast.

Thanks.  1:1.  Wow.  It was pretty thin 3:1. 

Back