Lace J-Bass Neck Pickup Doesn't Fit

Phrygian

The neck pickup from my Lace Sensor J-Bass set will not fit the neck pickup route of my Warmoth J-bass body.  Maybe I should have done my homework.  I guess this is what can happen when a guitarist tries to build a bass.  :icon_biggrin:    The width of the pickup is less than 3 5/8", but the screw spacing is the same as the bridge pickup (1 9/16").  I am guessing they did this to make it also fit MIM basses.  :icon_scratch:  Before I order any more pickups, does anybody know of other pickups that DO NOT fit so I can avoid them?

OK... no responses.  Well, does anyone know for sure if the DiMarzio Model J DP123 pickups will fit?

Thanks for the responses guys.  :)  I just got the DiMarzio Model J pickups in today, and they fit perfectly.  I guess I should e-mail Lace and ask them, "WTF?"

i had some custom pickups mad for my KDS jass bass from reedjamescustom.com  and did not cost me a arm and a leg and sound killer its best if you can talk to Reed James i will never go back to using standard pickups again now that i have discover them

Phrygian,
The Warmoth routs follow the licenced body for the J-Bass. The neck pickup IS narrower than the bridge pickup, and I think that fact is mentioned on the Warmoth site. That is definitely the way the original Fender Jazz basses were made.

Pickup manufacturers may not follow the same edict - as you have found out - and I guess it is wise to check the sizings of the 'J bass' pickups on offer before buying. They may also have different model numbers for the neck pickup and the bridge pickup so there cannot be any confusion. Even emailing their support for dimensions if the dimensions are not listed on their site.

Glad to read that, in the end, you had it sorted.

I should have updated this thread a while back.  The DiMarzio's fit OK (though they're a good bit taller than most pickups).  Unfortunately, pole pieces didn't match the string spacing of the Gotoh 201 bridge.  I opted to put the DiMarzio's in my MIM J-Bass (required modding), and I ordered some Bartolini's to go in the Warmoth.

Back