L5S 12-string (Updated)

PitchShifter

A year in the making, but finally my first Warmoth. Reading some of the comments in another thread, this is not going to be to most peeps taste (i.e. not leaving the bare mahogany).  However, I just wanted a simple, understated look. And it was my first time  :binkybaby:

Body: Mahogany body with Maple cap. Gold top gold top (LoL), black gloss side and back.  Cream binding.

Neck: Maple/Ebony from the showcase.

Electrics: 2 Bare Knuckle VHIIs, volume/tone/varitone. Coil tapping on the volume switch. Or that was the intention....

...guitar tech horrors....so unfortunately the entire thing needs to be re-wired....

I used gold screws and ferrules on the back.

After playing it, I think I'll get the nut filed and switch the strings around to the more traditional setup, as it suits my playing style better (I had to try it the other way!)

L5SSIDE.jpg

L5SCLOSE.jpg

L5SBACK.jpg

And some phallic shots

L5SNeck.jpg

L5Sheadstock.jpg

NonsenseTele said:
Cool! How does the VHII sounds in 12 strings?

The bottom end is quite tight and snappy, but has a tendency to get overwhelmed by a punchier mid, and some shrillness on the top end. Putting on some Pyramid flats would settle that down and give a really nice round and articulate sound, which is where I will go eventually. Not too good with any gain, but I think that's more the 12-strings than the pickups. They really do bring out the natural accoustic sound quite well though. Defintely a lot of power and punch, certainly not thin or washed out sounding.

I'd really love to hear sound clips pleeeaaseee. Good body choice for the 12-er too. Big body goes with big headstock. Phallus all around us!

The Bare Knuckles proved way to hot and thick, and I found playing the Rick style setup with Octaves on the bottom didn't work for me. There were also severe issues with the wiring and setup job originally done on the guitar. So I took it to another tech (this one recommended) and he did a great job of letting this butterfly bloom.

With the action lowered, strings switched over and a new set of 60s sryle vintage winds from Jeff at High Order pickups, this little baby plays like butter and breathes and chimes exactly how I wanted. It's so easy to play, and it shimmers.  It's a little bitey at the moment, but I'll take off the current strings and replace with Pyramid nickel flats.  It's my first complete Warmoth and now it sounding fantastic.

Finally, with the new pickups I intended to get some black EMG covers to replicate the original flat black look of the original, but I've grown to like the look of the screws and slugs. The extra pickup circles match with the fretboard inlay and the busy headstock patterns to create a real motif!

twelve.jpg

This guitar has a really cool look, almost menacing - it's gotta be a bit of a clash to hear the 12 string chime come from it! I like.

Would love to hear a CLIP, hint hint...

I really wouldnt mind modifying the "Pics or doesn't exist" mantra to "Soundclips or it doesn't exist", "Soundclips or it has shitty tone", I dunno, let us hear the damn thing!

Love the guitar. I'm not much for gold or guitars with black hardware, but even then it looks very classy to me. It works real well and has kind of an aggressive look to it.

Of the 4-5 next future projects I'm thinking about, a 12-string L5S always seems to be in the top 2 or 3.

Back