Kuro's 5-string Bass for a friend

Kuro Uma

So I have this buddy of mine who's played bass for me in many bands throughout my life. His current bass is pretty much falling apart. I'm always doing repairs on it for him. So I decided to surprise him with a new bass. (I know I know, more excuses to build another guitar) Over the last few months I've gotten details of what he would like in a bass.

I started with a one piece mahogany/flamed top body and a plain maple 4+1 jazz bass neck with black blocks. 
d186a.jpg

d5n633a.jpg

And some Bartolini's and a preamp
imag0447i.jpg

Now my buddy has some tattoo's he always talked about incorporating into a bass,
one of his children's names.
tatc.jpg

and one that him and his wife both have
lovess.jpg

So I got busy.
drew up the tat on the maple
imag0351w.jpg

imag0354c.jpg

dyed it with wood dyes
imag0355z.jpg

imag0356ev.jpg

sealed the tat and the natural binding
imag0357cd.jpg

imag0358e.jpg

imag0359r.jpg

Masked it off for the burst and laid down a slightly darker honey burst.
imag0360h.jpg

imag0361f.jpg

imag0364m.jpg

imag0365p.jpg

imag0367k.jpg

Dyed the other tattoo into the back. Also made a flamed mahogany control plate.
imag0446q.jpg

All put together and finished
imag0448p.jpg

imag0451a.jpg

imag0452s.jpg

I refrained from posting this up on the forums until I was done. Only due to the slight chance my friend may see this in progress if he happens across this forum. I know he'll be "internet-impaired" until I show up and surprise him with it this coming weekend.
I think it's a good gift to my lifelong friend and partner in mayhem. Hell our kids even play together.

hope you guys like it.

That thing looks AWESOME! I was a little skeptical when I saw the tattoo picture, but damn if it didn't come out perfect.

That is one fine piece of work! Just gorgeous! Good choices all around. Like Jay, I started to worry when I saw the tattoo art inclusion, but that was very well done as well. Helluva thing to do for a friend. I don't even treat my brothers that well <grin>

This is truly exceptional! :icon_thumright:

I am not normally a fan of graphics on instruments, but this works so well, with the curl of the Maple showing through. It really looks like the graphics are tattooed on! Outstanding work!

That is incredible work. I agree with everything said above; it's just astounding, the workmanship AND the intention.

Wow.

WOW  :blob7:  that is very nice indeed, Great work :icon_thumright:

Can I be your Buddy too ?  :icon_biggrin:

I agree with everyone!!!  great job,
and I love the burst!!! "narrow" bursts like that are the best!! great work!! let us know about your friend's reaction..
or better, film the whole thing, ocguy style!

So this is the answer to the unasked question, "What could Kuro Uma possibly do to top that carved-top soloist with the black dye and the tribal design?"

Very cool, and a tremendous gesture to your friend.

When you masked off the dyed, sealed (names) tattoo to put the burst down around it - what's that red stuff? Some kind of sheet frisket, I guess? is there some procedure or choice of materials that led you to feel safe that mask wasn't going to peel up the name tattoo... these are not idle Q's, BTW... these processes of multiple layerings have a bright future, I'd say.

To say that bass looks incredible would be a collossal understatement.  :cool01:

I cannot imagine the patience it must have taken to complete!  :eek:

Beautiful work!

I delivered the bass to my friend this weekend. He loved it. Loves the tone. Thanks to all you guys helping me decide pickups, etc.

StubHead said:
When you masked off the dyed, sealed (names) tattoo to put the burst down around it - what's that red stuff? Some kind of sheet frisket, I guess? is there some procedure or choice of materials that led you to feel safe that mask wasn't going to peel up the name tattoo... these are not idle Q's, BTW... these processes of multiple layerings have a bright future, I'd say.

The red stuff is just vinyl cut to mask the design. I didn't feel the vinyl would peel up the tattoo because I had already sealed the tattoo with a sealer using another mask that was the reverse of the red one. I tried this method all on scraps before I even began the last guitar. When I got to this bass I already had a proven method. This time I just dyed the name tattoo by hand with a very small paintbrush and using wood dyes before sealing. I know it may not be the proper method but I feel it works. It comes out smooth like glass and feel great after I shoot the clear and polish.

That's inspiring on multiple levels.

I'm really impressed both in your workmanship and in your friendship.

Apologies if I missed it, but do you have a background in graphic art or similar? You're clearly very skilled.:)

Back