Koa/Maple/Pau Ferro Blacker than the Blackest Black

MUYFUE

I've had this bass for a few years and it has NEVER let me down. I have never had a single problem with it EVER live nor in the studio. In short, the Gecko is indestructible.

The specs:
Body is Koa, fitted with a Seymour Duncan Music Man 5, which I covered with tape to cut down on clicks, the Duncan active pre-amp with volume, mids, concentric bass and treble, the volume knob pulls up to activate a different EQ curve. Hipshot bridge, and countersunk Dunlop Strap-Loks.

Neck is the medium width, Maple with Purpleheart laminations, 24 fret 35 inch scale Pau Ferro Fretboard and Ebony Gecko inlay, Ibex horn nut (the guy who made it told me it was) Gotoh tuners. I put the Warmoth logo on the headstock of course.

I string her up with RotoSound Swing Bass 66 long scale. I use a 4 string set with an added 135 for the low B.

I had the whole thing painted black, against the advice of every Warmoth employee that I spoke to during its construction. HAHAAAHAAHA! it's amazing!

Whether I'm playing fingerstyle or slinging low for metal madness, I can always count on the astoundingly powerful attack paving way for the resounding warmth that holds down the band like iron chains imprisoning a dragon! HAHAHAHAA! I love it. I hope you've enjoyed my submission. Warmoth, thank you for listening to me during the build, It's BADD!

Looks great, but why on earth did you paint Koa BLACK?!  :icon_scratch:  It's such a beautiful wood.

Nice bass!  :glasses9:

The person who refinishes it one day is in for a hell of a surprise.

Wow.. koa painted black? It sounds like someone read our jokes about finishing rosewood or something and took it seriously.

Oh my lord... Can't believe you have done such desastrous thing with this Koa wood... :sad1: tsk tsk

I hope you enjoy it, at least...

...Actually It's not ALL black. There's a chip in the back that lets the Koa come through :icon_tongue: See?
Oh, and there's a ding in the front under the strings from...a drum set... :doh:
I know, I know. Everybody at the shop was like, "BLACK? HUH? NOO! WHY? ARRGH! I'M MELTING! I'M MELTING!" I exaggerate of course. They were cool. I had to nudge 'em a lil bit to paint it, even that little scoop at the end of the neck. It's so tough, though! Kudos to Warmoth for working with and listening to the customer on this one. The black is so deeep and kleen.

Veteran metal heads will tell you that a nice good True Black paint job is a treasure. The finish hasn't changed one shade since the first time I saw her. So many other guits will get a wierd green haze on them like old Ebony Gibbys left out in the sun (it's own weird kind of awesome). Or worse, I've seen cheesy black paint jobs age and show hints of purple or blue! This one is Black as the sky behind the moon. Like a shadow, behind you and beneath you everywhere you go.

I heard so many wonderous things about the magical sound of Koa vs. "regular" woods like Mahogany or Ash and I'll tell you they are all true! I love a good Mahogany body too, but dang this thing lays down the railroad trax sumpin fierce. Plus it weighs 437 pounds, which is awesome.
The sound is the reward.  :headbang1:

FWIW, i've been reading this board for quite a while, LOTS of good variety, each beautiful in it's own way. Oh, to have it all...

P.s. to Tele. This is my year for the Goncalo neck I've always wanted...I'm painting it yellow. Only kidding!

Warmoth does really excellent finishes.  The black looks good, but I wouldn't use something so expensive (and pretty) as Koa under a solid finish!

MUYFUE said:
P.s. to Tele. This is my year for the Goncalo neck I've always wanted...I'm painting it yellow. Only kidding!

:eek:  That's not funny!

:icon_jokercolor:

MUYFUE said:

I really hope you're kidding, I can be mean when I want :evil4:

Just kidding :laughing7: :p
I can imagine the chaos the facility became when your order was made... hehehehehehehe I hope they've chosen a Koa with knot or weird mineral streaks :icon_thumright:

My back is stronger than ever!

I use the upper horn as a handle and do deltoid raises with it! :tard:
Sometimes I grab it upside down by the 1-3 fret and use it as a shovel.
Ooh, oh yeah. I'll turn it "frontward" where the strings are facing out and play tennis! :tard:
Actually, once I held the body in place, put the headstock on my driveway, spun it real fast and drilled a hole for my basketball pole! :tard:

:headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1:

Actually a thrift shop body, beautiful and innocent she was. Not a single knot, streak, nor burr, just wonderous carmel swirls. T'would be a shame to let the world stare and think those nasty thoughts. I know what you'd all be thinking...sitting there staring at her...playing her in your mind...No, I had to protect her virtue. Keep her safe. Mine. Save her...Keep her. Her beauty is known, and she is mine alone.  :evil4:

MWAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
:evil4: :laughing8: :evil4: :laughing8: :evil4:

Back