Just released my first digital single!

elfro89

I recently discovered a passion for a different side of the 80's and decided to create something to try out my own ideas in the genre. There has been a bit of a revival of the old Escape from New York style 80's cinematic electro, which has been called Dreamwave by the modern revival scene. I was really happy with the results and decided to launch my own platform for the music I write in this genre. Its free to download from the link below if anyone wants a personal copy. I hope there are some real 80's enthusiasts on this board and like what I do :D

http://ulterion.bandcamp.com/

You absolutely nailed the genre, elfro.  Very well done.  Time to break out my neon pink tshirt and put it on under a blazer with the sleeves rolled up.

Cheers for the responses folks  :laughing7:

I actually haven't thought much about promoting it, it just so happens that marketing is my weakest of weak spots. If you know of any methods I'd love to hear them likes. I'm still attempting to refine the concept and have it well defined within my own mind, I know I want to create something more visual to go along with the music but I wouldn't know how to promote it beyond the usual facebook/youtube/hosting websites.

Bagman67 said:
You absolutely nailed the genre, elfro.  Very well done.  Time to break out my neon pink tshirt and put it on under a blazer with the sleeves rolled up.
Yeah, what he said!  :toothy12:
Great job Elfro!  :eek:ccasion14:

Outstanding! I was in my 20s in the 80s. You managed to bring back some great memories with that one.

It's a good theme and it's well done, but it sounds like a long intro. Listening to it, you keep waiting for the song to start.. Never does. Then, there's no end. I'm not talking about adding lyrics - not a fan - but tunes should speak.

Cagey said:
It's a good theme and it's well done, but it sounds like a long intro. Listening to it, you keep waiting for the song to start.. Never does. Then, there's no end. I'm not talking about adding lyrics - not a fan - but tunes should speak.

That's cool bro, any chance you can articulate this in more detail? It's a little too abstract for me to fully understand your perspective.

I'm not sure how to say it any differently. What it sounds like is the introduction to a tune. It's very well done; I have no problem with it at all. Nice piece. But, it just doesn't seem to go anywhere. I felt an anticipation that was never resolved. No meat.

But, that's just me. I could be all wet. I'm no pro, so take it all with a grain of salt.

It's ok Cagey, I'm genuinely appreciative of all feedback and I don't mind you ripping it to pieces using any language or word choice that best represents your perspective. It all matters to me getting better so feel free to flame this in exquisite detail if you wish. You will not and can not offend me. :icon_thumright: I find people that get offended often do so because they allow their ego and insecurities to blind them to the obvious truth. So please blast away!  :eek:ccasion14: 

No, it's nothing like that. Lord knows I speak my mind. The piece really does sound good and is well-done. It's just that, as I said before, it doesn't seem to go anywhere. It sounds like the introduction to a tune that never shows up. You're left with this sense of anticipation that doesn't get satisfied.

That could just be me, though. I'm no music theorist/scholar. Pay it no mind. Somebody else could say something completely different.

Well, I'm thinking it could be the lack of any real melodic movement. It plays more as a series of bass lines and chord movements rather then a theme revolving around any kind of lead instrument. The genre is pretty much designed as a spin off of movie soundtracks, although there are some real masters in the genre. There is a group called Le Cassette which release material sporadically;https://telefuturenow.bandcamp.com/track/digital-power-2 If I could make music that was to capture this feel with all the technical prowess displayed here I would be satisfied as a music maker I think.

elfro89 said:
If I could make music that was to capture this feel with all the technical prowess displayed here I would be satisfied as a music maker I think.

Not to doubt you, but I find that anyone who's achieved a certain level of mastery is usually motivated to go further.

I liked it.  But to Cageys point, it left me waiting for something.  Like a ripping guitar solo!  I may download for use as a great backtrack.

Back