Just curious but why is Warmoth quality deteriorating....

jazz88

The new carve on the vip looks weak, and still after all these years Warmoth still does not offer a real 24 fret neck, no more LP, looser neck pocket cuts (my last body had a pocket route that wasnt even finished all the way, I took care of it myself, but really no one checked it first before shipping? ) and just all around less of everything that matters....and now alot less reason for me to buy unless Im building a tele or strat, but even then Im finding many more varieties of the body sculpts for a strat at Warmoth's competitors while Warmoth is still offering the same as usual but with less quality....

I love Warmoth but why is this fine company resting on its laurels and not pushing forward into new territory....and please spare me your tired bit about retooling, after this many years there is no excuse....

sad to say it but I am finding myself combing thru the competition a whole lot more these days, something I never even considered in the past.

I post this as a hopeful wake up call down there, it may not be my company but I have loved you for many years, can you guys please step up the game a little bit please....its time to offer a real all wood 24 fret neck and maybe even start laying out a new scale if you need to but please for the sake of the guitar community do not sit on your butts and make excuses as to why you cant or wont grow a little.

The rant was supposedly about quality.  You mentioned a sample of one for which you didn't say you made any attempt to contact them. All the rest of that was about features you wish they offered.

Hmmmm this is a new one on me....

swarfrat is right though, this seem more of a laundry list of wants as opposed to actual QC issues.

As for me EVERY neck/body I have ever received from them was above and WAY beyond expectation.

Plus if you had an issue you totally should have called them,

Hands down one of the best customer service experiences I have ever had.

I guess all I got is if you don't like it, don't buy it, and go elsewhere.

But really, in the end, you would be just cheating yourself.

JMHO

jazz88 said:
I love Warmoth but why is this fine company resting on its laurels and not pushing forward into new territory....and please spare me your tired bit about retooling, after this many years there is no excuse....

Warmoth comes out with something new almost every day. I would like to know what your definition of pushing forward into new territory is, because if Warmoth isn't, there must be some spectacular parts company out there that I am not aware of.

No more LP is more to do with a chap called Henry. 

QC queries should be addressed at the time when you open the box...

There is a  Warmoth 24 fret neck with a 24 3/4 scale and I believe it is made of real wood and not an extension.

Oh and welcome to the forum, posting some pics of your Warmoths or something positive first and getting to know folks in the forum and then making suggestions instead of griping as a first post may get you further.

Disclosure:  I am not affiliated with Warmoth.

stratamania said:

There is a  Warmoth 24 fret neck with a 24 3/4 scale and I believe it is made of real wood and not an extension.

Oh and welcome to the forum, posting some pics of your Warmoths or something positive first and getting to know folks in the forum and then making suggestions instead of griping as a first post may get you further.

The Lp issue is understandable, I get that, but I find nothing mentioning a real 24 fret neck that isnt just a fretboard extension hanging off of the neck, not to mention once you place it on the typical strat body your access is diminished because you have to reach up and over the body to access the extension, thats ridiculous, check out Vigier guitars or Music Man guitars newest 24 fret models, real access to a real all wood neck not an extension, which by the way dosnt carry the same tone as a neck with real wood underneath it, try some out and you'll find out for yourself.

And for what its worth I can find 5 strat body makers online in 5 minutes that offer a variety of sculpts from the 50's ...69's etc. and they are just as nice and almost always cheaper in price......and now that I had the neck pocket issue, look a whole lot nicer in comparison.

Look Im not knocking Warmoth I have bought them for many years, I just hate seeing their prices going up but their  options dwindling..the  times are a changing and they arn't changing with the times.....there is so much they could be doing to expand their base it just irritates me that I have to start looking at custom builds from other companies when what I really want is to buy my stuff here.

If theres a real all wood 24 fret neck offered at Warmoth then someone in the marketing and web department isnt doing their job because I have been looking and I dont see it in the options...just a lame extension that sits so far back it defeats the purpose of 24 frets, not to mention now offsets the neck pickup from its glorious tone zone, to becoming a middle pickup..kinda, nadda....lame my friend lame.....no need to defend the obvious just because you write 100 post a day folks. I play.

Jazz88, I've played 24 fret guitars since the 80s with AANJ on Ibanez and also a set neck 80s Hamer which has great access. So I'm quite aware of heel access etc. I also play 21 and 22 fret Strats and Teles.

I do understand that a 24 fret extension may not be preferred to a solid neck all the way to the 24th fret.

The 24 fret neck that is available is the Warmoth 7/8 http://www.warmoth.com/pages/CustomNeck.aspx?style=61

These fit onto the Warmoth 7/8 S and T style bodies only but they are a true 24 fret neck with a 24 3/4 scale length.  But there is not a similar offering at this time for 25 1/2 scale unless you go the fretboard extension route.

The fretboard extension to 24 fret does require a reposition of the neck pickup but so does a true 24 fret neck. Where the 24th fret is has to be determined mathematically based on the scale length, so where that 24th fret is will be the same regardless of construction method meaning the neck pickups position has to move closer to the bridge and not be in the position of the imaginary 24 fret as on a 21 or 22 fret neck.

The "tone zone" you mention idea is based on a neck pickup being at a nodal point for harmonics one being at the 24th fret position but only when the string is open and not fretted. The best that can be achieved with a 24 fret neck is to have the neck pickup where it physically can be.

I play too. I don't know anyone who posts 100 times a day.

At the end of the day it's supply and demand no one company will ever be able to produce every option for every one.

But it's just untrue to say Warmoth isn't producing new designs etc it is.

Supply and Demand indeed.
People demand Strats & Teles well above the quality of Fender, with more custom offerings without a mortgage sized sales figure all day long.
Warmoth supplies that daily, hand over fist, with better quality and quicker lead times than the competition.

If the demand for "true" 24 fret necks with other than Warhead peghead shapes were high enough, they'd supply it. 
The fact that they do not currently is proof that the demand isn't calling for it.

Look at what they have done in recent years. 
Alternative offerings to the Gibson shapes.
Innovative new shapes like the Split Jazzmaster, JagStang, JazzCaster, MoonCaster, Hybrid Strat, Hybrid Tele, Carved Top Tele, Cabronita.
These all came within a relatively short period of time considering how many manufacturers just put a different sticker on the headstock of a body/neck configuration that has for the most part gone unchanged for 60 years.
That doesn't even take into consideration micro options like the many nut material options that have been a mainstay for so long.

I wouldn't say that their quality is deteriorating in the least bit, but rather, the opposite. 

jazz88 said:
... If theres a real all wood 24 fret neck offered at Warmoth then someone in the marketing and web department isnt doing their job because I have been looking and I dont see it in the options...just a lame extension that sits so far back it defeats the purpose of 24 frets, not to mention now offsets the neck pickup from its glorious tone zone, to becoming a middle pickup..kinda, nadda....lame my friend lame.....no need to defend the obvious just because you write 100 post a day folks. I play.

:redflag: :redflag: :redflag:

Okay kids time to stop feeding the troll and let it go back under its bridge....

:rock-on:

Moving the neck pickup has to do with 24 frets and no neck joint can change that.  Not moving the location of the neck joint, not set necks, not neck through. The fret itself is in the way.

And yeah, I was trying hard to overlook the obvious but...

1st post screeds by users with 88's in their handles do not have a good track record on any internet forum I've ever been on.

swarfrat said:
And yeah, I was trying hard to overlook the obvious but...

1st post screeds by users with 88's in their handles do not have a good track record on any internet forum I've ever been on.

Agreed,
after many years in the Punk/Ska/Oi! circles, anyone with that attachment to their Screen name usually get NO kinda love from me....

jazz88 said:
stratamania said:

The Lp issue is understandable, I get that, but I find nothing mentioning a real 24 fret neck that isnt just a fretboard extension hanging off of the neck, not to mention once you place it on the typical strat body your access is diminished because you have to reach up and over the body to access the extension, thats ridiculous, check out Vigier guitars or Music Man guitars newest 24 fret models, real access to a real all wood neck not an extension, which by the way dosnt carry the same tone as a neck with real wood underneath it, try some out and you'll find out for yourself.

And for what its worth I can find 5 strat body makers online in 5 minutes that offer a variety of sculpts from the 50's ...69's etc. and they are just as nice and almost always cheaper in price......and now that I had the neck pocket issue, look a whole lot nicer in comparison.

Look Im not knocking Warmoth I have bought them for many years, I just hate seeing their prices going up but their  options dwindling..the  times are a changing and they arn't changing with the times.....there is so much they could be doing to expand their base it just irritates me that I have to start looking at custom builds from other companies when what I really want is to buy my stuff here.

If theres a real all wood 24 fret neck offered at Warmoth then someone in the marketing and web department isnt doing their job because I have been looking and I dont see it in the options...just a lame extension that sits so far back it defeats the purpose of 24 frets, not to mention now offsets the neck pickup from its glorious tone zone, to becoming a middle pickup..kinda, nadda....lame my friend lame.....no need to defend the obvious just because you write 100 post a day folks. I play.

the thing with the necks. they are fender replacement parts. they used the most common fender neck pocket location and they have made a decision to stick to that so that customers don't end up with the wrong neck and body combo and then complain.. if you want all this stuff there is carvin and usacg and private luthiers. but what warmoth does have is a 24 fret 24.25" scale neck on a mustang pocket. they also sell 7/8th scale bodies that match these necks and i think they can put the mustang bridge to pocket spacing on any body if requested. it has a small extension, not the goofy one on the regular neck pocket. sure it's not what everyone wants but it is unique.

:doh: -Hook, line and sinker, guys...

This n00b anything but a troll? -Fuggedaboddit.

Back