June Submissions - Guitar of the Month Contest (11 entries)

It's "basswood." pronounced "base-wood" LOL!

I chose basswood for this project for two reasons.

1) I had bought an Ibanez bass last year to build the proto-type and prove the neck rotation theory. The Ibanez is made out of basswood and sounds really good. My friend commented more than once that he liked the tone a lot so, I figured I'd go with it on the new build.
aIMG_2798lo-res.jpg

aIMG_2827lo-res.jpg

2) Basswood is relatively easy to work with and as you see, the orange bass has some complex features in it. Trying to build this prototype from maple or mahogany would made things a lot more difficult as many of the features on this bass are hand carved.

Once I realized that the rotated neck would address the reach issue of the left hand, I went about the process of building the orange bass and adding some new ideas like relocating the leg cut to move the bass more directly in front of the player, and adding the leaf spring so he could sit there with his hands free and not have to support the neck.
aaDSC_0070lo-res.jpg

The back of the body is hand carved where the neck mounts so the 5 screws would all be the same length. This helps make maintenance work easier as there's no confusion which screw goes in what hole when it's time to re-assemble. I counter bored the holes and glued steel washers inside to strengthen the mounting area.

Ergo4lo-res.jpg

Because basswood is soft, I took the precaution of enlarging the bridge mounting holes and and using larger screws than the ones provided with the bridge that came from Warmoth. Once I drilled the holes in the body, I installed the screws and then removed them.

I then took some very thin CA glue and saturated the screw holes so they would harden and become stronger. When I finally mounted the bridge, I carefully twisted the screws in making sure to pickup the threades before sending them home. It's solid!

Had to look at the prototype twice to realise what was going on,  :eek: :eek: :eek: interesting to see a prototype,

Doughboy said:
DMRACO said:
Dough Boy...that strat is killer!  Kinda Charvelesq.  Love the P-90s in trip!

Does that say sammy davis Jr on the top?  What is the significance of that?

I suppose it has a hint of the original San Dimas Charvels Wayne started building in the early 80s. Those were my favorties out of anything the Charvel line ever built.

I thought the P-90 would be a cool departure from the standard pickup configurations & Lindy Fralin was kind enough to custom wind these for me. They sound like P-90s but are completely noiseless.

I put Sammy Davis Jr on all of my headstocks. I'm a huge fan & don't like the look of blank headstocks. Plus, putting a fake Fender decal on something as nice as a Warmoth is just plain wrong.

Love the triple P-90!  Curious as to what position 2 and 4 sounds like?

crash said:
Doughboy said:
DMRACO said:
Dough Boy...that strat is killer!  Kinda Charvelesq.  Love the P-90s in trip!

Does that say sammy davis Jr on the top?  What is the significance of that?

I suppose it has a hint of the original San Dimas Charvels Wayne started building in the early 80s. Those were my favorties out of anything the Charvel line ever built.

I thought the P-90 would be a cool departure from the standard pickup configurations & Lindy Fralin was kind enough to custom wind these for me. They sound like P-90s but are completely noiseless.

I put Sammy Davis Jr on all of my headstocks. I'm a huge fan & don't like the look of blank headstocks. Plus, putting a fake Fender decal on something as nice as a Warmoth is just plain wrong.

Love the triple P-90!  Curious as to what position 2 and 4 sounds like?

Those positions sound unlike anything I've played before. They sound like a fat P-90 with the mids scooped. My favorite position is having all of them on at the same time, since I have a push/push that turns the neck PU on & off & also controls the neck volume. It sounds really cool with a clean setting.

Dough Boy and Max, those guitars are killer!

That triple P90, tight flame Strat style guitar is awesome.

And I love the finish on that mahogany Tele! That slant switch hotdog plate is killer too!

OK, that custom bass is amazing, I can tell you now that the entire idea to execution is just one of the best ideas ever
there are some beautiful finishes on these guitars this month, and originality is going to make the difference there, both in finish and styling of guitar,
the flames with the EMGs, just to tasty, Torment, that Blue is just soul burning, the burst guitar, classic in just the right amount of way, too good,
3 P90s with that finish, Dough Boy you Blow my mind, A RED STRAT WITH SHARKS FINS, that deserves all caps,
And MAX, every time I see that TELE I want to just reach in the computer and grab it. one of the best Tele builds I have ever seen, plus I love the pickguard.

this is going to be a very hard month again, and we still have time for someone to throw in a late entry to drool over.

this contest gets better every month,I think just to enter your guitar takes guts as you know someone is going to enter true beauty.

this truly is the best forum on the web,both in members, information on how to build a guitar, off topic among friends but most of all,

there truly are some AMAZING guitars being built here and any boutique guitar builder needs to fear for his business.

The brass bezel around the pickup is the result of a "slip-o-the template" while routing the pickup cavity. I like the way it turned out but wish I hadn't screwed up in the first place.
Ergo2lo-res.jpg

That "slip-o-the-template" actually worked in your favor, as the brass bezel maintains the lines of the body!

DangerousJusatele said:
OK, that custom bass is amazing, I can tell you now that the entire idea to execution is just one of the best ideas ever
there are some beautiful finishes on these guitars this month, and originality is going to make the difference there, both in finish and styling of guitar,
the flames with the EMGs, just to tasty, Torment, that Blue is just soul burning, the burst guitar, classic in just the right amount of way, too good,
3 P90s with that finish, Dough Boy you Blow my mind, A RED STRAT WITH SHARKS FINS, that deserves all caps,
And MAX, every time I see that TELE I want to just reach in the computer and grab it. one of the best Tele builds I have ever seen, plus I love the pickguard.

this is going to be a very hard month again, and we still have time for someone to throw in a late entry to drool over.

this contest gets better every month,I think just to enter your guitar takes guts as you know someone is going to enter true beauty.

this truly is the best forum on the web,both in members, information on how to build a guitar, off topic among friends but most of all,

there truly are some AMAZING guitars being built here and any boutique guitar builder needs to fear for his business.

Hey, thanks for the compliment!  It's a shame that regardless of the lighting, type of camera, etc., I just can't get that color to pop in photos.  I guess some colors are more photogenic than others...

VERY tough competition this month, keeps getting harder?

Guess I'll throw in my Trans Amber Korina VIP, one of my favorites from my collection:

KVIP5.jpg

KVIP2.jpg

KVIP1.jpg

KVIP3.jpg

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=873.0

WOW  :hello2:  is all I'll say, fantastic work done by all… shall study each one closely before deciding my vote.

I'll leave my 1st finished (just) Warmoth till next time around… bit to late this time around.  :doh:

That White Tele … Uuummmm … very nice …But….will lose my vote (sorry) IF that is a Fender Logo on a Warmoth Neck.
Just my way of thinking ….. I don't mean to offend at all !!

Gee I need to learn that S1 switching setup on Guitar #3 …. very nice  :icon_biggrin:

Seen something similar to the Bass, where there is a piece of wood 1& 1/2" thick curved, cut to the shape of the body,
that could be adjusted by sliding forward & backwards on the curved body & be locked into position, for best fitting.

Something about that 'Trans Amber Korina VIP' ….. Yummie …. Link to specs thou PLEASE

Good luck to all & very well done indeed !!  :icon_thumright:

Updown  :blob7:

OK Jack
that is totally unfair, just when I think I have a decision, you throw in that beast and I think I am going have a nervous breakdown looking it over

If I live long enough I may just get to vote this month, but any more entries like the ones in there now and I may just explode

jackthehack said:
Guess I'll throw in my Trans Amber Korina VIP, one of my favorites from my collection:

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=873.0
Jack, read the first thread for information how to enter your guitar into the competition.  It's changed in the past year.

Updown said:
Seen something similar to the Bass, where there is a piece of wood 1& 1/2" thick curved, cut to the shape of the body,
that could be adjusted by sliding forward & backwards on the curved body & be locked into position, for best fitting.

I'd love to see that. Do you have a brand name or a link?

Wow.  I have not checked this thread for a few days.

This is going to be a tough month.  So many great guitars!

Wyliee said:
Wow.  I have not checked this thread for a few days.

This is going to be a tough month.  So many great guitars!

I'll say - I think I'm just going to flip a coin between afterburner and that bass

Back