July Submissions - Guitar of the Month Contest

GOM

Greetings,

I'm pleased to announce the July, 2011 Guitar of the Month contest.  July's contest will be for "Owner Finished" instruments.

Please read the GOM rules, which have been refined, with some slight changes, and are posted in a sticky in this forum area.

Submissions must be sent, to uwfgom@gmail.com, and contain two images no greater than 1024x768, along with your description and details of the instrument.

In turn, those images will posted to this message, which is July's submission thread.  

Submissions will be accepted from July 1st to July 7th, so get your cameras clicking!

All discussion for the submissions can take place below, along with other pictures hosted by the poster.  

Good luck, and may the best guitar win!

Guitar #1: by Fidde

It's a hollow-bodied Wenge VIP, with Wenge neck and Ebony fretboard.
The finish is nothing more than rough sandpaper and steel-wool, to give it a more beat up, satin and woody look.
Warmoth made the parts. I, Fidde, made the finish.

fidde1.jpg

fidde2.jpg

Guitar #2: by Syntheticocean

"The finish was done entirely by me."

super1.jpg

super2.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guitar #3 Eric Banjitar
The stain was mixed and applied by the owner/builder using dyes and mineral spirits. The finish is a nitro-cellulous rattle-can nitro-cellulous lacquer.

Warmoth flame-maple angled-paddle neck, standard shape 10/16, gold 6105 frets, rosewood fretboard with graphtech black nut. Gold,locking Schaller tuners.  The headstock was designed, shaped and carved by owner/builder.  All banjo parts purchased from Gold Tone Musical Instruments: 6 string "es" tailpiece, aluminum tone rim (I polished the contact surface), gold 8" tension hoop, radiused 5/8" bridge and a 10" clear Mylar drum head. This banjo has a stereo output running two separate circuits.One side of the output(transducer) feeds an acoustic amp (Acoustic AG60), the other leg goes to effects and then a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp. The pickups are switched with a three-way switch (neck, both, body). Each pickup has its own volume pot.  There is no tone knob. Tone comes from amps. The Neck pickup is a Golden Age tele framed by a gold reversed strat flange. All flanges are recessed to flush. The EMG-HZ  pick up is modified with a spring and bolting configuration designed to force the pickup firmly onto the underside of the head as far toward the neck as possible. this pickup is coil tapped with a push/pull knob.  The acoustic pickup is a schatten utility piezo.

The body is a book-matched quilted maple back. With a transparent head installed, you can see the quilted maple through the head.  The front is a hippie-sandwich of swamp ash, and walnut with cherry and maple veneer stripes. The middle (between back and front of guitar body) is mahogany. This guitjo-banjitar monster weighs nearly 10 pounds (lots of metal parts)

EricBanjitar.jpg

EricBanjitar2.jpg

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Guitar #4 Marko
Hollow Swamp Ash Strat
Flame Maple Top
Padouk/Ebony Neck
Wilkinson Bridge
1 IronGear Steamhammer HB
2 IronGear Jailhouse rails

Marko2.jpg

Marko1.jpg

In fact they do, by implication.  The word "instrument" is used over and over in the rules.  The implication is that which a contestant enters is not a collection of parts, nor a project in the works, but an "instrument", meaning essentially complete, fit, and playable.  This line of reasoning could devo into a semantic discussion regarding the fitness of parts, or the completeness of construction that would properly fit within the scope of "instrument".  All of that would be senseless, because at the end of the day the GOM staff would either include submissions, or reject them.  Most folks do not realize, that the GOM staff has rejected a fair number of submissions, all quite hush hush, below the radar.  :icon_tongue:

Definately going to be needing to get a warmoth neck for my project jazz, not in time for this month however, funds dont allow it  :sad:

I will be entering my electric 6-string banjo. It is my first ever guitar build, recently completed. It was designed, built and finished by me.  I am excited.  :blob7:

Fidde; that is a very nice looking axe, may i ask how does Wenge body / neck combo sound?

Also, in my humble opinion it is screaming for a custom neck plate and truss rod cover  :headbang:  

Wow that's quite the finish synthetic ocean! :headbang:

Cool  VIP - I like the "aged" wenge look.

The guitjo-banjitar is something else too - really unique, great execution.

Nice looking Z - not a big Z fan but that one looks great with the Warmoth head.

Well done folks!

Kinda curious. I was looking at the filenames of the pics in here, and for some reason my pics were labeled as super1 and super2. Everyone elses were name something related to their username. Did mine remind you of superman or something lol

All of these guitars look terrible and I bet they sound bad too. If you guys want get rid of all that useless junk, just send them to me and I might be able to use them for parts or something  :laughing7:

I'm normally not a big VIP fan, but I'm lusting after that wenge beast.  Freaking awesome work.

A little late to the party so I'll just post a couple photos that are not entered but show a unique guitar.

I have always liked the Gibson L6-S model but never cared for the 24 fret neck or 24 3/4" scale so I got this crazy idea to built one out of mahogany with a 25 1/2" scale

The pickguard is hand made from 5 ply laminate.

I stained the guitar to look somewhat like a Gibson SG and then sprayed it clear.

I have always loved the warm, wooly roar of an SG but just can't stand the neck-heavy attributes of that guitar so, this thin body L6-S style guitar fits the bill.

The pickups are Seymour Duncan Custom 5 (SH-14) at the bridge with a '59 at the neck and a set of AllParts solid chrome covers to get that authentic Tony Iommi look.

Took 6 m onths to build and she screams Angus Young baby!

aL6-SProjectIII010lo-res.jpg

L6-SProjectGuitar.jpg

L6-SProjectGuitarRear.jpg

Back