Jazz Bass - Precision Sound?

texicus

Hi guys - I've got a Samick J-Bass that I love, but the sound just isn't it for me...I'm more of a P-Bass low end thump sound kind of guy than the more refined J sound (or that's what it sounds like to my ears...)  Any recommendations on pickup upgrades that could give me the sound I'm after, or a step in the right direction?  Was looking at EMGs, but most of them are active, hoping to go passive...any help is appreciated!  Thanks!

Try a split-coil pickup possibly? Lots of companies make them. This one is from Nordstrand.

Well, the Nordstrands are designed to mimic the jazz sounds as are most other J-shaped pickups. For the P-growl, you'll need more than just a split coil.

I didn't read the info on them. I am also going back to bed.

Im not that well versed in how to get a p bass sound from a jazz routed bass, but the only sure fire way i guess is to have a p pickup, but without the right route, thats impossible, of my knowledge thats it, but there may be more options

Ah my bad it probably is, well if you can find them what id suggest is something like a seymour duncan p pick up of some sort, but also get with it an s1 switching system, which were on p basses by fender till 2008 or so, and find how to wire it, as itll give you series and parrallel sound, and i can tell one of them sounds more like a jazz pickup but still sounds like a p bass in the other, that along with the other jazz pick up should let you do either, shame u cant put a selector switch in there!

Doublecheck the size of the pickups.  Samick may use both the same size pickups like Fender does on the MIM models.  Warmoth and the Fender American Standard have a different bridge and neck size pickup route.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Doublecheck the size of the pickups.  Samick may use both the same size pickups like Fender does on the MIM models.  Warmoth and the Fender American Standard have a different bridge and neck size pickup route.

Warmoth doesn't have a fixed route for anything. You can get either the same size or different

Oh really?
http://www.warmoth.com/Bass/Options/BassPickupRouting.aspx
For $45, they'll route whatever wherever.

Anyway the point wasn't what Warmoth does, but what his Samick might have done so whatever pickups he orders fit.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Oh really?

yes. really. there's no upcharge for getting the same size pickup route in both positions.

anywho. if the thing's top-routed then you can try and get a new pickguard, or cut the pickguard yourself to fit a P-bass pickup and then make a nice P/J setup - which seems to be a very popular setup.

I believe some Fender Jazz basses have a switch that wires the two J pickups in series instead of parallel. The result is supposed to be a P-bass type of sound. You might give it a shot with your current pickups and see what happens. I haven't tried wiring two J's in series yet, but I'm considering it. Even if it doesn't nail the P-bass sound it could be pretty useful...

-Bobbie

Thanks everyone!  Might look into the quarter pounders if I could find a decent sound bite on the web.  Do any come with talent built into them?

Before you buy anything new try wiring the pickups in series. You can get a push-pull volume pot to let you switch it in and out.

It's a $10 change and you may be very pleasantly surprised at the results.

Ill find out from my neck quarter pounder when its installed haha, but yeah im installing a neck 5 string quarter pounder and i think by early next week ill be done and ill have ability to just record that so ill try record you a sound bite. but look on seymour duncans website something tells me somewhere there is a tome of sound bites for all there pickups!

Back