japanese pots

vtpcnk

any views on japanese pots? or rather pots on japanese guitars.

i have a mij 58 reissue strat with texas specials - not sure if the pots are japanese though. likewise a 1991 mij washburn hb-35 - i think this has mini pots.

i would like to know if the pots require a qualitative change - to CTS or alpha etc.

appreciate the feedback.

if you dont have a problem with the pots in your guitar...crackling or whatever, then why would you need to change them?

Brian

why would i need to change the pots?

for better quality?

as the general reading is that electronics on imports are crap!

or is that a myth?

the point is that if i upgrade the pickups i want to make sure that the electronics dont suck and kill the potential of the pickups.

Many years before I had the internet I had a cheap Korean Ibanez. I thought it was a good guitar, sounded great,
couldn't get it to go out of tune if I tried. After getting the internet and finding guitar forums I discovered that my guitar
was infact a piece of crap, electrics....crap, trem......crap, pickups......crap. So I did what any self respecting young
guitar player would do when they know no better. Swapped out the trem for an original floyd, didn't sound any
different still stayed in tune just as it always had. Swapped out the electrics, sounded no different. Dropped in a
couple of Dimarzio's, to be honest they sounded different, not better so much, just different.

Moral of the story.........if something isn't causing you a problem, there isn't a problem. And don't believe everything
the interweb tells you, it's full of idiots.

If it's not broke, it doesn't need fixing. That being said, I WOULD always recommend replacing any of the "mini" pots and/or cheaper versions of the CTS  5way switch if you're adding pickups and doing soldering anyway. MAy as well do it right....

but a regular size pot doesn't go through the f-hole. so mini pots seems to be the only option.

Back