It's time. Your suggestions appreciated

FlyingV

Well time to order my first Warmoth. I would like your suggestions if you wish to make them.

1. I have not decided on the body yet. I am somewhat burnt out on the whole Super Strat thing, nice as they are and I may still go that way because of 2.

2. I am going to use a 24 fret neck for sure. I tune down to C# on six strings usually, or at least it is my favorite six string tuning so I don't think the 24 3/4 trick is for me.

3. Seven strings are my first love however due to Warmoth's rather limited body choices in seven strings and their scale option of 25" [no way] or 28 5/8 [yikes!] I am probably not going to do a Warmoth 7 string. I have a Loomis 26.5" that I love and 27" would be fine too. Hell even a 25.5 scale seven string neck and I would go with it. I would kill for the 27ish scale on a V2 body but Warmoth said no V2 seven string route regardless of scale neck choice. Bummer.

4. I like OFR and will have the body routed for one. This, like the 24 fret neck are going to be on my order no matter what.

5. The woods I am considering are - Neck = Wenge. Fret Board = Satine/Bloodwood. Top and body still not 100% firm. Thinking of Swamp Ash body with Paduok top. I keep looking at Canary, Purple Heart and Bubinga too.

6. Doug will be doing the neck plate  :headbang1:

7. It will have HxH route. Unless I can't resist a mini hum middle lol.

Considering I will likely have to do some work for upper fret access to the 24 fret neck what do you think? The bodies I am thinking of are...

V2, Tele, SG, Explorer.

Thank you for what ever advice or experience you may wish to share. This is a great forum!

I can say wenge is defiantly a plus for the neck, my spalt tele has a wenge/ziricote neck. I might also suggest canary as a neck wood, it is awesome for a raw neck, I have one with a ziricote board as well. Canary looks bad ass as a top too... :icon_thumright:

I love Wenge necks and fretboards.  My Warwick bass has a Wenge board on it, and I love it.  So I would go all the way with the Wenge. 

I have always loved the V shapes.  Especially for upper access, its going to be hard to beat.  My second choice would have to be an SG.

I would use bubinga or walnut as a body wood.  But thats the bassist in me talking :)

Other than that, good luck with the build.

I have read many times that a 24 fret neck on a Strat body doesn't work so well as the lower cutaway limits access to the high frets.

Then again I play bass, and don't go above the fifth fret without a GPS.

knucklehead G said:
I have read many times that a 24 fret neck on a Strat body doesn't work so well as the lower cutaway limits access to the high frets.

Then again I play bass, and don't go above the fifth fret without a GPS.

His namesake is a giveaway of a guitar which cutaways really do not apply........... :laughing11:

If he tunes down to C#, that extra 2 frets will be vital in handling most scales in higher octaves.  The usual open E will be his barre G.......... :icon_scratch:

Don't do a tele if you want to actually use the 24 frets! 
For access, you might consider the Z or the VIP in addition to the V. I doubt the SG would work very well for what you want, though it would make for a unique look.  If you really want a 7 string and longer scale, get the 7 string baritone and sometimes use a freaking capo on fret 1. Seriously, the warmoth baritone scale is just two extra frets beyond the strat scale. I think you would find that you get used to the extra length pretty quickly, 28 5/8 is not exactly a bass.

Back