It's here, WOOO HOOO!!

dbw

Master Member
Higher quality pictures will come tomorrow... I'm borrowing a camera.  After I take some photos I'll start filling the grain!!  Tung oil should start going on by Thursday!

WORDS CANNOT EXPRESS HOW EXCITED I AM! :toothy10: :toothy10: :toothy10:

:headbang1: :guitarplayer2: :headbang: :eek:ccasion14: :guitaristgif: :party07: :icon_thumright: :blob7:

Black korina/black korina hollow Strat, recessed string-through TOM bridge, SD Custom 5 and SD '59 pickups, contoured heel, all chrome hardware, vol/tone/3-way (rotary).

Ebony fingerboard, rosewood neck, Strat headstock, Schaller locking tuners, Warmoth pro construction, compound radius.

It's difficult to see in the picture but the body has a little flame to it, especially beyond the bridge.  Once it's finished it'll probably show better.

That's going to explode when you start oilin' her up! It's gonna be a beauty! :icon_thumright:

That's awesome.  I have a strat with two '59s in it and they are awesome.  Anyone else think "hot" pickups sound like crap?  The 59's sound awesome even edging toward Metallica/Megadeth type tones.  How are you going to finish that bad boy?  And how much was that body with those routes?

take your time dude. I'm on my 5th grainfill and sandback on a mahogany body. Ive gotten a bit frustrated with it and stated slathering on the stuff REAL thick. sanding using 400grit at this point, doing this by hand with no machine help.

Brian

spauldingrules said:
That's awesome.  I have a strat with two '59s in it and they are awesome.  Anyone else think "hot" pickups sound like crap?  The 59's sound awesome even edging toward Metallica/Megadeth type tones.  How are you going to finish that bad boy?  And how much was that body with those routes?

I don't like hot pickups either; they kill your clean tone with too much compression and midrange.  I much prefer to take vintage wound pickups and use pedals/my amp's natural overdrive to get distortion.  The sound of a hot pickup hitting the front end of your amp really hard just sounds like butt to me.  I set up my amp for on the edge of breakup tones and use a clean boost to push it over the edge.  If I want more distortion, I hit an overdrive pedal.

willyk said:
That's going to explode when you start oilin' her up! It's gonna be a beauty! :icon_thumright:
are we still talking guitars here :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

spauldingrules said:
i agree most super hot pups are junk.

anyway awesome guitar. i just live my korina tele.

dudesweet157 said:
I don't like hot pickups either; they kill your clean tone with too much compression and midrange.  I much prefer to take vintage wound pickups and use pedals/my amp's natural overdrive to get distortion.  The sound of a hot pickup hitting the front end of your amp really hard just sounds like butt to me.  I set up my amp for on the edge of breakup tones and use a clean boost to push it over the edge.  If I want more distortion, I hit an overdrive pedal.

Another option, that I don't see being used a lot, is running the humbucker to a switch for both series and parallel routing of the coils.  In series, the sound is optimized for overdriving an amp.  In parallel, the sound is optimized for clean tones with better highs and a less honking midrange.  I guess it's similar to coil splitting except parallel routing still bucks the hum.  And I think it's slightly hotter than a split humbucker because both coils are still in use.

I don't see that being used often.  Maybe because it involves more solders than a simpler coil split.  But I'm going to include that feature in my build.  I want the chiming cleans AND hot midrangy humbucker sounds.  :party07: 

I now put series/parallel switches on every one of my HB-equipped guitars in some fashion, after I tried it experimentally. I've had enough parts fail on me after a few years that I think I prefer individual switches - if any part of a push/pull pot goes, you've got to redo the whole thing. God forbid your Superswitch dies - what a beast to wire! :eek:

Depending on needs, sometime I wire up an on/on series/parallel switch, and sometimes the full monty with an on/on/on series/split/parallel. It's the same amount of soldering work, the only downside is that you might bump the switch to split when you wanted parallel. There are more and more production guitars coming out with switching that utilizes various combinations of coils, some parallel - Music Man and Ibanez both have some really well thought-out switching. But again, it's all contained within a magic five-way, pretty hard to change or repair.  :help:

I rewired my MIM strat a while ago with an on/on/on series/single/paralell switch, and I gotta say... I'll never go back.  I plan on wiring both Humbuckers in my HSH warmoth(2 more months) strat the same way, and have been thinking about doing it to all my other guitars with humbuckers.

I can admire guitars with basic wiring, they're very clean looking and nice to look at, but as a player, to have allllll these other options is just amazing.  I could live with a single humbucker pickup guitar with this simple 3 way switch.  It makes a huge difference. 

erik

I considered doing series/parallel but I figure turning both humbies on and tapping the coils is the same thing.

dudesweet157 said:
spauldingrules said:

thats my problem; i want HOT pickups for distortion, and low output for clean. isnt a good solution (if you like REALLY hot pickups for distortion) to have a coilsplit (or series/parallel) for clean? so you dont have that enormous impendance you normally have with hot pickups. Or a pickup with low impendance (8k to 11k ohms) with a hot/big magnet?

on topic: GREAT GUITAR!!!!! love the woods, love the configuration, cant wait to see it finished!

Back