It shouldn't take a month to get a showroom neck

I suppose it all depends on your perspective.  My business has been hammered so I completely understand anyone whose business depends on a supply chain  and human interaction. 

If your business doesn't, try to understand we are in strange times.

It takes the time it takes in the times we are a living in.

I would rather if anything they slowed down a bit instead of trying to meet expectations of being a fast food type of operation. The staff there can only do so much and rushing does not help quality, people's well being or anything else.

Having ordered 6 new Strat bodies (4 showcase bodies + 2 custom built from scratch) and 2 custom built Strat necks from scratch - I have to say Warmoth are super fast.

I ordered 3 necks from another company in September 2020 (just because they had aged clay inlay dots, which Warmoth do not offer). That company managed to get 1 neck to me in 3 months and another neck after 4 months. Those necks were ordered "raw", with no finish. One neck is still pending and is now in their "fretting departement". It's been 6 months now.

So, in 3 months time, Warmoth managed to get me 6 bodies (all finished) and 2 necks (all finished) while the other company got me 1 neck (without a finish).
I should add that I did not order all items from Warmoth on the same day, but during the course of 2 months.
Also, I'm in the EU.

I'd say Warmoth is as fast as humanely possible in these crazy times. Kudos to them!
Now that other company... let's say I'm less impressed :)

stratamania said:

I would rather if anything they slowed down a bit instead of trying to meet expectations of being a fast food type of operation. The staff there can only do so much and rushing does not help quality, people's well being or anything else.
Well said indeed  :eek:ccasion14:

JPOL007 said:
stratamania said:

Well said indeed  :eek:ccasion14:

+1 on that. I've always disliked those tv shows and vid's where their going to restore or build an expensive vehicle in two weeks or less. I don't want something that they have rushed to build, I want them to take their time and get it right. High quality cannot be achieved without two things foremost, talent and time............. :icon_thumright:

First off, showcase items aren't completed items, typically.

For example, on a neck there could be many things still to be done, namely:
  • Install Frets
  • Install Nut
  • Apply Finish
Those things take time, and each of those departments is extremely busy right now.

Secondly, there is a modal on the front page of the site, and another at check out, that you must click through to proceed, that explains our current wait times.

Sorry for such a general response, but it's hard to offer details when the criticism is so vague.

My qualifications for making these comments are as follows.
ASQ (American Society for Quality) Certified Quality Inspector and Certified Quality Technician
28 plus years in Quality Assurance and Product & Process Development
Speeding up any production process that is based on tight tolerances exposes you to several bad outcomes.
Unsafe working conditions
Poor quality goods
Damage to your reputation
Losing customers because of poor quality
I buy from Warmoth because of their high quality products. Waiting on superior quality is something I’m willing to do. Receiving goods of lesser quality from them is not an experience I want to have. Put me on the ship it when it is almost perfect list.

I'm with him. 

I've another tidbit of lore from my world, often used when Engineering is talking to Marketing (sorry Aaron) about qualities of the new product currently in design:

"Fast, Good, or Cheap.  Pick any two."

But what the heck am I doing responding?  The OP was obviously a troll posting click-bait  :headbang:

Mayfly said:
But what the heck am I doing responding?  The OP was obviously a troll posting click-bait  :headbang:

Considering that two out of three total posts are complaining about the same unrealistic expectations....  :dontknow:

I deal with A LOT of shipping and logistics with my day job (...of music gear, coincidentally...including guitars), and if Warmoth managed to only have to add on two weeks to the pre-COVID build times...that is actually astounding and super fast.

Some people will have waited a year (or more) for their non-custom shop/non-custom department factory produced guitars (depending on what it is/who is making it/where it’s coming from, etc) because demand is higher than ever during a time when most places have been required to trim back their workforce for any given work shift.

I read the notices that come up EVERY time you go on to Warmoth’s site. I’m planning on waiting three full months. If my parts show up quicker - great! If it goes a little longer than 12 weeks, frankly, that’s understandable too right now, but I’ll say it again - having to add just two measly weeks to a build time right now, is completely inconsequential, and it’s amazing that they didn’t have to add two MONTHS to a build time with everything else going on with the shipping channels, workplace restrictions, etc and so on.

Cut them some slack, have some grace (not just for Warmoth, but for people in general right now), and have some patience. They’re still getting it done in record time, given the circumstances.

The OP's post is depressing. You can imagine the emails Warmoth's customer service has to deal with.

It took 8 weeks to get my custom neck. It was worth waiting for. Flawless! My first Warmoth buy. I will return!

I figure I will get it when I get it. I've waited years to be able to afford to build my dream guitar, I can wait a few months to get all the parts together and assemble it. It will be that much sweeter when it's all finished! I would rather they take their time and do it to the best of their ability as opposed to rush it to get them out faster.

I have other guitars I love to play in the meantime!  :rock-on:

The stuff that I have ordered from them recently that requires no work has shipped within 2 days and arrived promptly. Necks and bodies are taking longer and I'm happy with that.

The fact that you have to wait suggest that 2,796 others disagree with you

Back