Is there anyway to tell if a neck is quatersawn?

I have a 1/4 sawn wenge  neck and I can tell it’s stiffer than other wenge necks I’ve tried.  It could just be the piece of wood I have because it’s  from warmoth and it’s the only 1/4 sawn wenge I’ve ever got my mits on.
Either way wenge is a beautiful wood.

Looking at how rounded the grain is in some spots, I doubt it is quarter sawn. That grain should be pretty straight from end to end. But I can't guarantee either way. And, with wenge, it probably wouldn't matter, it's a very stable, rigid (and heavy) wood.

DuckBaloo said:
Looking at how rounded the grain is in some spots, I doubt it is quarter sawn. That grain should be pretty straight from end to end. But I can't guarantee either way. And, with wenge, it probably wouldn't matter, it's a very stable, rigid (and heavy) wood.

Yeah from the looks of the surface of the back of the neck, I'd initially say it was flat-sawn.  Here's another illustration that may help explain what to look for.
Flat-sawn, rift-sawn, and quarter-sawn, left to right.

woodscience_lead_2.jpg

Many quarter-sawn pieces will also have ray flecks, but not all.  Here is a quarter-sawn maple fretboard with pronounced ray flecks.

4U1sXSMl.jpg

I actually have a quarter-sawn wenge neck from Warmoth, but no pic handy.  I'll post later if you're interested.

Medullary rays are an obvious feature, but I think White Oak is a bit of a showoff in that department. I'm sure it exists in other woods, but ... QSWO is pretty snazzy for a domestic North American wood. Enough that I can just say QSWO on a semi-related forum and people know what you're talking about.

Back