Is there any reason not to opt for a string thru?

Unrepresented

Assuming that you're going to use a bridge that can accommodate a string thru or quick load setup, is there a reason you wouldn't want Warmoth to pre-drill the holes?

Depends what kind of bridge you're talking about. The older top mount style does seem to give a very slightly looser feel when bending strings and some say it sounds a little warmer though personally I've never ntoiced this. In the case of tune-o-matics, having a stopbar and raising it definitely gives a looser feel when bending, and again I've not noticed a difference in tone although some people argue there is. So actually not using a string-through design might work out for you, if you're talking about a Tele style bridge or a tune-o.

Otherwise no, there's no reason not to have Warmoth drill the holes for you if you're going to be using a  string-through bridge.

Tele ace Jim Campilongo's '53 (i think) tele is a drop-in (not string-thru) bridge. His tone is fantastic, and he says the strings feel more "rubbery" on a drop-in bridge vs. a string thru.

But the solution is obvious, and most posters here already know it: We all need several of each type!

I have at least 1 of each, and can't tell much of a difference.

One of my partscasters has a Wilkenson bridge which gives the option of String through or through the bridge. I have never tried stringing it just through the bridge. I have heard, but can't confirm, that you get better sustain when the strings are going through the body and angleing over the bridge. Next string change maybe I will run the strings through the top load holes and see what happens.

I prefer hard tail string thru.
I had typed out a rant as to why when i REALIZED that my go to guitars are Teles with string thrus, and everything else does not have them. so I erased it to say....
I prefer the sound of the Teles
Is this because of the string thrus? I do not know but I prefer to play my Teles and it is not because they are more comfortable than my Strat or PRS

TaylorPlayer said:
One of my partscasters has a Wilkenson bridge which gives the option of String through or through the bridge. I have never tried stringing it just through the bridge. I have heard, but can't confirm, that you get better sustain when the strings are going through the body and angleing over the bridge. Next string change maybe I will run the strings through the top load holes and see what happens.
This was actually the situation I was specifically speaking to...

Bridge I'm looking at offers both options, other than the cost of ferules, is there any other reason to avoid having the string through holes predrilled?

I have instruments with both setups, and honestly, haven't noticed any difference between setups, but I figure it's a free option...

String-through will feel slightly tighter while bending, though not when fretting normally. That's the long-and-short of it. I've got a Tele with the Wlikinson bridge and I have the lowest three strings coming up through the back and I string the highest three through the top, best of both worlds :icon_thumright:

But yeah if you're happy to play with string-through then go for it. There's no downside to either, really.

The old saw that break angle changes the way the strings feel has been debated to death.  I personalty don't believe it, both from personal experience with my teles and by applying string theory.  However, the mind is a funny thing - sometimes if you *think* it makes a difference you can convince yourself that it actually does.

bottom line - it does not matter.  You'll get enough of a break angle to make good contact with the bridge either way.

Honestly, my objection to string-throughs is that I'm too retarded to push the strings through at the right angle, so re-stringing one is always an exercise in frustration.

One reason I can think of to get a topload instead of string thru is if it's a showcase bass body.  For whatever reason, most likely for CNC orientation reasons, a "your choice hardtail" doesn't include a string thru option in the showcase configurator.

Another reason is the body style: some shapes just don't look right without a little metal "down there". Jazzmasters, for instance. They can look great as hardtails, but without the STP they look a little unbalanced. More than they do anyway...

Back