Is it possible to put a stomp box into a guitar......?

alexmyla

ok so i had an idea and im sure its not an original one but i really was wondering if it was feasible to do this...
so i use mainly two small pedals and i was wondering if it was possible to gut out the pedals electronics and install them on a future build. i know there would be drillin for knobs and that doesnt bother me but if its possible then that would be the coolest thing....no more excessive cords and crap cluttering the floor. The guitar would be heavier but i dont mind that...tell me what you guys think

Never tried them myself. But maybe these could be interesting for you :

http://store.guitarfetish.com/modboards.html

SustainerPlayer said:
Never tried them myself. But maybe these could be interesting for you :

http://store.guitarfetish.com/modboards.html

:blob7: wowww now thats what im talkin about....now if i can get my boss phase shifter modded into my guitar along with my digitech distortion factory....
or maybe route something in the back to put a POD or something so if you need amp modeling on the go or for a quick track without gettin the amp and cords and crap out from the closet...hmmm

One of the guys on the danish forum Gearfreak build a Zoom 505 II unit into a Peavey EXP:

side.jpg

He's also got a lot pickups and switching going on:

body2.jpg

We're only limited by imagination.  :laughing7:

EDIT: The build thread is here - in Danish - but lots of pictures in the top:

http://www.gearfreak.dk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3420&start=1

Well - imagination, mad skillz in electronics and some soldering experience:

lodninger.jpg

BTW: The pickups are:

Seymour Duncan George Lynch Screamin' Demon

GFS Little Killer

GFS Mini humbucker

Fender Custom Shop '63 single-coil

If you don't already understand how to do it, you should not attempt it.  You'll just destroy the guitar and pedal.  Not that it's particularly hard, but you need to understand what you're doing, not just blindly follow some steps.

If you DO understand how to do it, you'll probably realize how pointless it is.  :D

dbw said:
If you don't already understand how to do it, you should not attempt it.  You'll just destroy the guitar and pedal.  Not that it's particularly hard, but you need to understand what you're doing, not just blindly follow some steps.

If you DO understand how to do it, you'll probably realize how pointless it is.  :D

wait why would it be pointless though?

SustainerPlayer said:
One of the guys on the danish forum Gearfreak build a Zoom 505 II unit into a Peavey EXP:

side.jpg

He's also got a lot pickups and switching going on:

body2.jpg

We're only limited by imagination.  :laughing7:

EDIT: The build thread is here - in Danish - but lots of pictures in the top:

http://www.gearfreak.dk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3420&start=1

He should have thrown a b-bender in there too!!;) And chair for his girlfriend to sit on!

Actually it's been done & done & done, it was a real 70's thing. The biggest advantage to me seems to be to get some sort of preamp inside the guitar driving the signal, because then the length and type of cord to the amp becomes less important. However, you can compensate for one thing with another, and guitarists are such traditionalists the idea never caught on. There are guitars with entire synthesizer controllers built in..... If you could figure out the control sequence & ergonomics, it would be kind of cool to get a POD in there. The 9-volt batteries are really limiting, so most of the more musical ideas in this area have some sort of external power running back into the guitar, like Garcia was doing in, ummm, 1981 or so.

You'd think guitarists would be all radical and cutting-edge, but the products that seem to sell the most all promise vintage throwback caveman tone. :icon_scratch: They outlawed LSD ten years too soon....

well said. i feel guitarists are constantly conflicted about what they want. I hear the words 'vintage' thrown around a lot.

so you want to put a vintage stomper in a vintage guitar.....

Something like a Dallas Arbiter fuzzface in a 62 Telecaster

absolutely yes. i made a killer fuzz bass- a dedicated instrument becuase it was a beaten up stagg, and all i needed was to match the ouput and input wires to the same place on the guitar.

the problem was... i liked the fuzz quite a lot and wanted it to use with other guitars, and wanted to turn it on without interrupting my playing too much. i guess thats why the stomp box was invented...

also, sqeezing in all those electronics was a bit mad... make sure you have the room for it.

=CB= said:

no no no i mean you find all these guys who by ultra modern metal machines (i have nothing against them seeing how my guitar is geared for metal) and say duuuude i want the latest sound but vintage....( i quote someone who was talkin to a guitar rep at guitar center)..... it boggles my mind. i never wanted vintage i just want versatility and if i can prevent myself from buying another expensive patch cable or cord then hell yea im gonna do it lol.

alexmyla said:
=CB= said:

no no no i mean you find all these guys who by ultra modern metal machines (i have nothing against them seeing how my guitar is geared for metal) and say duuuude i want the latest sound but vintage....( i quote someone who was talkin to a guitar rep at guitar center)..... it boggles my mind. i never wanted vintage i just want versatility and if i can prevent myself from buying another expensive patch cable or cord then hell yea im gonna do it lol.

One reason I stay clear of music stores are folks like that

Back