Is copper shielding tape necessary?

dmraco

Master Member
Lets hear it....I did not use it on my 1st build and have no problems.  I also have never seen it in a factory guitar. 
What gives???

my parker has shielding paint...  seems no different from my unshielded guitars. I did feel that it helped when I used to jam in a basement with fluorescent lights (different guitar with copper shielding). I'm not sure but it might help in a situation like that, like a bar with neon and fluorescent lights.

It's not something that has to be done.  But, if you ever are playing around something that gives off any EMI (electro magnetic interferance), like a fan for instance, the sheilding could possibly help to stop that from bleeding through your pickups. 

I'm pretty sure the people who tell you that you don't need to shield your guitar have never played in bars with neon beer lights, or recording studios with computer screens. There are joints around here where you can't even show up without humbucking pickups, or at least a reverse wind on your Strat so that you have a humbucking position. Trying to tell the bar owner he has to rewire his bar and turn off his advertising because it upsets your guitar's mood goes over real, real well.  :toothy12: Unshielded guitars don't like wall wart power supplies too much either, so if you're playing through rack gear you have to stand across the room from it, which makes it harder to adjust the knobs for sure.

I agree with Jack for regular pickups.  Just use shielded cable if you are worried, much easier to play with.  But, for active pickup preamps it seems to help.  The bass guys with active pickups notice the difference.
Patrick

Patrick from Davis said:
I agree with Jack for regular pickups.  Just use shielded cable if you are worried, much easier to play with.  But, for active pickup preamps it seems to help.  The bass guys with active pickups notice the difference.
Patrick

I am running EMGs...seems split/cant hurt type of deal. 

Back