IPE' - Nice Stuff!

simple

Staff member
I'm really beginning to like this fingerboard! Smooth and dense with nice figure.  We only have a few of these boards and they've sat on a shelf here for years without being used until now. Kind of looks like marble.

SN5094a.jpg

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_necks.cfm?type=guitar&start=1&menuItem=1&itemNumber=SN5094&subMenuItem=0&subMenuItem2=0&fingerBoardWood_filter=56

This neck is SWEET!!!
How do sound Ipe?? Is this Ipe the Brazilian wood? (here whe pronunciate "e-pee", the first e like when you're saying the alphabet and the other like pencil  :) )
It's veeeery hard isn't it?

I just saw (no pun intended) that neck awhile ago, very sweeeeeeet. BTW Gregg, why do ya'll not make more of some of the other neck styles in the nicer woods? ???

i mean you got a bazillllllllllion strat and tele necks made from exotics, give us a little more vatiety of other peghead shapes.... :dontknow:

Gregg, how much have that stuff do you have around to make up custom orders? Looks kind of interesting and I have (yet another) idea fulminating in my addled cranial cavity... :tard:

Oh and can we get a little more info about its sonic characteristics too? Is this heading towards ebony territory perhaps?

ipe is a bit like ebony in tone, and a bit like pau ferro in feel, I presume. I haven't tried this wood yet, but I know its grainstructure isn't as coarse as rosewood or as tight as ebony -> feels like pau ferro. the wood is VERY hard -> must sound a bit like ebony. I, for one, dont like it, sorry. Its not dark enough. I prefer wenge or ziricote over this board. but hell, nothing can top ebony for feel and sound  :icon_jokercolor:

Side note - finishing up the bass that has a bocote fretboard on birdeye maple neck this week; you have any more bocote for fretboards laying around with graining anything like the neck in this thread?:

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=2508.0

You should throw it up on the "pick your own fretboard" section if you do....

Just as another quick Q on this one - there are some 'One of a kind' Ipe fingerboards listed, but on viewing, it says "Add $150 to Ipe Fingerboard Price" - only there isn't an Ipe fingerboard price that I can see. So what are we adding it to?

I think you'd add $150 to the price of the same neck wood ordered with rosewood in the case of wood choices not on the chart.

Chris of Arabia said:
Gregg, how much have that stuff do you have around to make up custom orders? Looks kind of interesting and I have (yet another) idea fulminating in my addled cranial cavity... :tard:
I think we have 4 or 5 more of those IPE boards left. Ken's never seen it before or since so when it's gone it's likely just history.

jackthehack said:
Side note - finishing up the bass that has a bocote fretboard on birdeye maple neck this week; you have any more bocote for fretboards laying around with graining anything like the neck in this thread?:

I'll go look for some Bocote boards Jack.

Gregg said:
jackthehack said:

I'll go look for some Bocote boards Jack.

I've just got some thinner fingerboards used for Vintage Modern Construction necks. I'll get them up.

Never thought about that, i.e., you need a thicker slab for a compound radius than a straight one, but makes sense...

jackthehack said:
Never thought about that, i.e., you need a thicker slab for a compound radius than a straight one, but makes sense...
Actually, the radius is not the issue. The way the neck is built for the particular truss rod used is the reason the boards are thinner.

DangerousR6 said:
I just saw (no pun intended) that neck awhile ago, very sweeeeeeet. BTW Gregg, why do ya'll not make more of some of the other neck styles in the nicer woods? ???

i mean you got a bazillllllllllion strat and tele necks made from exotics, give us a little more vatiety of other peghead shapes.... :dontknow:
Ooops, sorry.  Well, there will be a boat load of Warmoth heads in killer variations coming in about a month or two.

Back