internal Preamp/Buffer kit

JD0x0

Are there any good DIY kits for an onboard buffer for a guitar? I'm trying to keep it on a budget, so sub $30 would be hugely helpful. The 'boost' function is not so important as the 'buffer' that I'm looking for, as I'm not necessarily looking for more output.

Alternatively, is it possible to buffer the signal with a passive buffer without losing substantial gain? (-3dB)

Just throwing around some ideas for a new build.

Thanks!  :guitaristgif:

I've also had my eye on this...
https://buildyourownclone.com/collections/boosts-preamps/products/confbooster

I like that this one is completely internal and doesn't require to mount a pot and take up real estate

The "Confidence Builder" looks like a winner to me. Small, simple, inexpensive, transparent. At $15, what's not to love?

confidencegroupo-732x459_large.jpeg

Back 100 years ago, me and a buddy were going to build/market a similar thing to compete with EH's "LPB1" since there was only a couple dollars worth of parts in it. Turned out we couldn't do it - the packaging cost more than the effect, and at the time EH was selling theirs for $25 retail. No place to go with it.

Also kicking this one around.
https://www.musikding.de/1-Band-parametric-EQ-pedal-kit
I built one of these in a pedal, and I think it could work in a guitar, too. It's certainly compact enough. I'll have to test it a bit more, the noise floor on it seems a tad high, I might be able to make improvements with better lead dress, shielding, and quieter op-amps

Have you considered going the "normal" route and have a buffer in a pedal on the floor?

Like TC Electronic's Bonafide buffer

ImageGen.ashx

or Dunlop's Buffer

11406000001.MAIN.jpg

While more expensive, the EMG is quite nice as a clean boost.

I've considered adding one to the baritele as I have received comments from other musicians that they always have to turn me up in their in-ears when I switch to that guitar because the output is just below that of the 57/66 combo in my other guitars.

Back